* James A. Sorensen has been appointed chief financial officer and vice president of finance for Alpha Microsystems in Santa Ana. He succeeds Michael J. Lowell, who recently announced his resignation. Sorensen spent the last year as a strategic planning consultant for emerging growth companies. Before that, he was chief financial officer for Interfilm Inc., an interactive entertainment company, and chief financial officer for Showscan Corp., a simulation and entertainment software company.
* John Sorrell has joined JMG Security Systems in Fountain Valley as operations manager. He was previously served as operations manager for Security Maintenance Services in Irvine.
* Raimar W. Schuller has joined Berryman & Henigar as senior vice president for community development and the building safety division, West Coast. He is based in the Santa Ana office. Schuller was director of building and safety for the City of Newport Beach for 16 years.
* Albert J. Lagomarsino has been named a vice president for the California Land Title Assn. Board of Governors. He is a regional vice president for First American Title Insurance Co. in Santa Ana.
* Greg G. Cole has been named president of Tipamist Financial Services Inc., a Newport Beach automobile loan contract company. He had been vice president of GMAC Commercial Mortgage in Newport Beach. In addition, Michael A. Romano has been appointed vice president. He was formerly senior manager of business services for Massachusetts Electric Co. in Boston.
* Frank Licata has been appointed managing partner of Il Fornaio restaurant and bakery in Irvine. He succeeds Mario Lombardo, who returns to Il Fornaio in Del Mar as managing partner. Licata was most recently general manager of Tutto Mare Ristorante in Newport Beach. He has also been general manager at Diva, Bistro 201 and Cano's.
* Jay M. Young has been named chairman of the board of directors for Saddleback Memorial Foundation, the fund-raising arm of Saddleback Memorial Medical Center in Laguna Hills. He had been vice chairman of the board. Young was formerly chief of staff at Saddleback Memorial and chief of surgery at South Coast Medical Center.
* Blaine Hendrickson has been reelected treasurer of the American Health Care Assn., an association of long-term care providers. He is president of Sun Mar Healthcare, which operates nursing and assisted living facilities in Southern California.
* Duke T. Hale has been named vice president of service and parts for Mazda Motor of America Inc. in Irvine. Hale rejoins Mazda after a two-year absence, during which he served as president, chief operating officer and senior vice president of sales for Starcraft Automotive Corp. Previously with Mazda, he was vice president of field support, vice president of customer support and vice president of sales.
* Patrick T. Finnerty has joined Global Capital Markets Inc. in Irvine as a principal. He will oversee the company's private equity raising activities for high technology and private company clientele. Finnerty was previously associated with Morgan Stanley, Bear Stearns and Drexel Burnham.
* Rod Keller has been named vice president and general manager of the Disk Products division of Toshiba America Information Systems Inc. in Irvine. He had been vice president of sales for the division. Keller succeeds Frank Buckley, who retired. Keller previously held several positions at Digital Equipment Corp., including vice president of channel sales for North America and vice president of consumer products for the Americas.