* Internet: http://www.ama-assn.org. Contains information on the association, background and training of physicians and other information. (No physician referrals provided.)
Gay and Lesbian Medical Assn.
* Founded: 1981
* Membership: 1,800
* Telephone: (415) 255-4547
* Internet: http://www.glma.org
* Referrals: Call.
* Publications: Topics include homophobia as a health hazard; results of a national survey of lesbian, gay and bisexual physicians; legal rights and obligations of HIV-infected health care workers. Prices: $7 to $15.
American Geriatrics Society
* Founded: 1942
* Membership: 6,000
770 Lexington Ave., Suite 300
New York, NY 10021
* Internet: http://www.americangeriatrics.org
* Brochures and referrals by geographic area: Call the above number.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
* Founded: 1933
* Membership: 17,560
* Telephone: (847) 823-7186
* Internet: http://www.aaos.org
* AAOS Fax-on-Demand, (800) 999-2939.
* The public service line for information on publications is (800) 824-BONES.
* To request other brochures (shoes, common hand problems, arthroscopy, neck pain, scoliosis, foot problems, cast care, total joint replacement, others) write to AAOS, P.O. Box 2058, Des Plaines, IL 60017. Send a self-addressed stamped envelope with 32 cents postage for two brochures or 55 cents for three.
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
* Founded: 1896
* Membership: 10,225
* Telephone: (703) 836-4444
* Internet: http://www.entnet.org
* Referrals: (703) 836-4444
* Brochures: Call (703) 299-1121 to request a list.
American Academy of Pediatrics
P.O. Box 927
Elk Grove Village, IL 60009-0927
* Founded: 1930
* Membership: 53,000
* Internet: http://www.aap.org
* Referrals: Request in writing.
* Brochures: Request in writing. Topics include chickenpox, children and drugs, car seats, HIV / AIDS facts, baby bottle tooth decay, allergies. Include a self-addressed, stamped, business-size envelope, note the brochure topic on the envelope and mark it Dept. C.
American Psychiatric Assn.
Division of Public Affairs
1400 K Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20005
* Founded: 1844
* Membership: 42,000
* Telephone: (202) 682-6220
* Internet: http://www.psych.org
* Referrals: Call above number.
* Brochures: Call or write, specifying topic (overview of mental illnesses, depression, teen suicide, substance abuse, choosing a psychiatrist, Alzheimer's disease, manic-depressive / bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, psychiatric medications, coping with HIV / AIDS, mental health of the elderly, post-traumatic stress disorder, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, phobias, panic disorder, childhood disorders). Single copies are free.
American College of Radiology
1891 Preston White Drive
Reston, VA 20191
* Founded: 1923
* Membership: 31,000
* Telephone: (703) 648-8900
* Internet: http://www.acr.org
* Brochures: Put request in writing and mark envelope to the attention of the Public Relations Department.
American Society for Reproductive Medicine
1209 Montgomery Highway
Birmingham, AL 35216-2809
* Founded 1944
* Membership: 10,000
* Telephone: (205) 978-5000
* Internet: http://www.asrm.com
* Referrals: Write or call.
* Brochures: Write or call.
* Other: Write or call for information on clinics performing specific services such as gender selection.
American College of Surgeons
55 E. Erie St.
Chicago, IL 60611-2797
* Founded: 1913
* Membership: 60,000
* Telephone: (312) 664-4050
* Internet: http://www.facs.org
* Referrals: Call or write.
* Brochures: See the Web page, or write or call to request. Brochures cover how to find a qualified surgeon, getting a second opinion, operation costs, giving informed consent. Some cover specific operations.
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
2404 Stewart Square
Wausau, WI 54401
* Founded: 1981
* Membership: 2,807
* Telephone: (715) 845-9283
* Referrals: Make requests in writing.
Colon and Rectal Surgery
American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
* Founded: 1899
* Membership: 1,800
* Telephone: (847) 290-9184 or (800) 791-0001
* Referrals: Call toll-free number.
* Other: Call the toll-free line for information on colorectal diseases.