Thirteen local spots have been recognized as outstanding "Neighborhood Places in the Public Realm." Here are the locations and reasons for their selection:
1. Yorba Linda Civic Center Complex: Successfully integrates civic services, a community center, schools and recreational open spaces "into an aesthetically appealing, cohesive whole"
2. Downtown Plaza District: A central focus bringing together all of Old Towne Orange
3. Old Town Tustin business district: The symbolic downtown for both nearby neighborhoods and the larger community
4. Wilshire Square neighborhood: Promotes "an extraordinary sense of community"
5. Woodbridge Village: A "model" master-planned community with a network of parks, greenbelts, paths and lakes
6. Garden Park, University Hills: "A truly intimate neighborhood place"
7. Lago Santa Margarita: "A focus for community identity"
8. Leisure World: Cited for three areas: Clubhouse One, "a lively gathering place"; Serpentine Walk, which promotes interaction and outdoor exercise; and Aliso Creek Park and Wildlife Center, "a welcome retreat and contact with nature"