YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Cheryl Bess Hasn't Just Survived, She's Thrived

Thirteen Years After a Disfiguring Attack, She Is Graduating From College Student to Role Model


She was mummified in bandages from the chest up, nearly skinless, when I met Cheryl Bess 13 years ago.

Blinded and burned by sulfuric acid and left for dead by her attacker, she survived. She had wandered five or six hours through the San Bernardino County desert before she got help. She was 15.

Standing at her bedside in the intensive care unit of the UC Irvine Burn Center, knowing her face would need to be surgically rebuilt over dozens of operations, it was hard not to wonder: Was she up to the difficult life ahead?

As we came to know each other, her luminous grace and goodness made her impossible not to love and admire. Though her face and sight were stolen before her first date, she never lost her dignity. It always seemed that she focused on her strengths. Early on, she decided to try for a career using her voice--on radio and singing--but I worried. Would the world accept her?

On a recent Friday afternoon, the answer seemed a resounding yes.

With high honors, Bess graduated from Saddleback College in Mission Viejo with an associate degree and certificate in radio broadcasting and the hope of becoming a professional disc jockey.

At the college's student-run station, Bess--who added Braille to the equipment for her weekly programs--racked up several years' experience spinning tunes and hosting an open-forum talk show. She has demo tapes. She now will seek a paying job.


As darkness lifted on the morning of Oct. 24, 1984, Cheryl Bess walked toward San Bernardino High School, where she was a sophomore. Passing by a McDonald's, she recognized a maintenance worker from her public housing building.

Jack Oscar King, slightly built, age 65, offered her a ride. When she asked why he was headed in the wrong direction, he said he needed to stop by his house to shut off the lights. At the house, he put a screwdriver to her neck to get her out of his truck, but she fought off going inside. So he drove to a remote part of the Mojave Desert off I-15, threatening to douse her with drain cleaner if she bolted.

Cheryl fought back, trying to bash him with a rock. King poured a liter of the corrosive chemical over her head, kicked her into some bushes and drove off.

As her skin burned away, she walked for hours in excruciating pain before an aqueduct worker came upon her. He placed her in his truck and drove her to a convenience store to summon help. I will never forget his words in court later: She was like a walking skeleton.

The sulfuric acid was so caustic that when paramedics rinsed Cheryl's face with saline solution, the runoff blistered the paint on the aqueduct worker's truck.

It was uncertain whether she would live. I remember meeting Cheryl's mother, Norma, at the hospital and thinking: What on earth does one say at a time like this? All I could think of was to offer to go buy her more cigarettes. We sat for hours in the cafeteria, her hair in a scarf, her face stoic, her voice never breaking. Smoking and smoking. Memories of mother-daughter fun. Small joys of buying used paperbacks, dime ice cream cones.

I did not question why she hadn't teared up. I sensed if she momentarily released her grip on composure, that would be it. It also was apparent that if Cheryl was as strong as her mother, she stood a shot.


Cheryl and her mother had no money, and burn care is outrageously expensive. Initially, Medi-Cal rejected paying for replacement of Cheryl's eyelids, which was required in order that she one day might see again. Such surgery was deemed "cosmetic."

But a trust fund for Cheryl had been established by the Safety Employees Benefit Assn. of San Bernardino, which represents sheriff's deputies, marshal's deputies and district attorney investigators, and over time, she underwent numerous surgeries to give her back her face. Her doctor, Bruce Achauer, said at the time that he had not seen a patient with a more deeply burned head. He set about creating eyelids built upon a filmy tissue taken from the stomach area. Layer upon layer of skin grafts were needed so that eventually a transplanted cornea would be protected.

A new nose was constructed out of skin and tissue, shaped something like a carrot. The larger end was grafted onto the center of Cheryl's face but required support from living tissue while the grafts took. The smaller end was attached to her chest. Tuck your chin into your chest. Imagine yourself unable to move from that position for weeks. Such discomforts were standard as lips and ears were created. For years, her face was a work in progress.

As her head and arms and hands were being rehabilitated, she resumed high school studies. Eventually, Norma provided home schooling and Cheryl earned her high school diploma.


On May 23, with her mother at one side and her guide dog, Tina, on the other, Bess accepted her community college diploma. As she moved slowly across the platform, her sunglasses catching the light, applause gradually built into a standing ovation among the sea of burgundy caps and gowns.

Los Angeles Times Articles