Two young Lynwood sisters were electrocuted Wednesday as they sought relief from the summer heat in a bathtub, sheriff's deputies reported.
The sisters, 6 and 9, were playing in the bathtub of their home in the 4200 block of Platt Avenue when a blow dryer fell into the water about 4 p.m. Their names were not released.
The girls were being cared for by their 13-year-old cousin at the time of the accident and were exposed to electric current for at least four minutes, authorities said. The cousin tried to rescue them but kept getting shocked. When paramedics arrived, the victims were in cardiac arrest.
"They were trying to cool themselves down," said Lynwood Fire Department Capt. Alan Barndollar. "It's the poor man's swimming pool."