For travelers planning adventures to South Africa, there now are 31 low-cost accommodation facilities affiliated with Hostelling International (HI).
The HI hostels have shared accommodations and some private rooms. All have 24-hour access, and most offer a TV lounge, cooking facilities, a travel service and, sometimes, a free shuttle.
Here are some of the HI-affiliated hostels that provide a free airport shuttle if you call when you arrive.
The three Cape Town hostels:
* The Albergo for Backpackers, 5 Beckham St., Gardens, 8001; telephone 011-27-21-22-1849, fax 011-27-21-23-0515.
* Ashanti Lodge, 11 Hof St., Gardens 8001; tel. 011-27-21-23-8721, fax 011-27-21-23-8790.
* Cloudbreak Backpackers Lodge, 219 Buitenkant St., Cape Town 8001; tel. 011-27-21-461-6892, fax 011-27-21-461-6892.
Three Johannesburg hostels are:
* The Backpackers Ritz, 1A North Road, Dunkeld West, 2196; tel. 011-27-11-325-7125, fax 011-27-11-327-0233.
* Fairview Youth Hostel, 4 College St., Fairview, 2094; tel. 011-27-11-618-2048, fax 011-27-11-614-2823.