* Charles Biederman has been named vice chairman of Sunstone Hotel Investors Inc., a San Clemente real estate investment trust that buys hotels in the Western U.S. He had been executive vice president. In addition, Sam Marshall has been appointed vice president of construction. Marshall was formerly vice president of design and construction at Boyd Gaming Corp. Gary Stougaard was named vice president of development. Stougaard had been vice president of acquisition and development for Hardage Suite Hotels Inc.
* Alfred Castleman has been appointed chief financial officer, vice president of finance and a board member of Printrak International Inc., an Anaheim provider of networked fingerprint, photo imaging, computer-aided dispatch and automated records management systems. Castleman had been vice president and chief financial officer of Smartflex Systems Inc. in Tustin. He has also held similar positions with Sherpa Corp. and Micro Linear Corp. in San Jose; has been vice president of finance and administration of MCI/Quantel Corp.; and held management positions at Hewlett-Packard, Visa International and Arthur Andersen.
* Robert Baker has been named president of Targetti USA LLC, a Santa Ana-based company jointly owned by Tivoli Industries Inc. and Targetti Sankey SpA, based in Florence, Italy. Baker joined the company after 26 years as the principal of Design Lite, a Washington-based lighting manufacturers representative. Tivoli Industries is a designer, developer and manufacturer of specialty lighting and related products.
* Ken Harter and Derek Elmes have been appointed directors of manufacturing for Kaynar, a division of Kaynar Technologies Inc., a Fullerton manufacturer of specialty fasteners, fastening systems and components for aerospace and industrial product assembly. Both had been production managers. Harter joined the company in 1987; Elmes in 1980.
* Shabtai Shaanani has been appointed corporate vice president, sales and marketing for Magic Software Enterprises in Irvine. He joined the company after nearly 20 years with Digital Equipment Corp. in various senior sales management positions.
* Kristin Filippi has been named director of marketing programs for Scantron Corp., a Tustin supplier of survey services, automated data entry systems, hardware and software. Filippi, who joined Scantron in 1992, had been manager of market research and sales development.
* Keri Follmer has been appointed senior account executive at Hahn Communications in Newport Beach. Before joining the agency in 1995, Follmer was with the American Heart Assn., where she assisted in the coordination and management of special event fund-raisers.
* Mary Weyand has been installed as president of the national board of directors for the American Telemarketing Assn. She will oversee the launch of TeleWatch, an industry watchdog group for the telemarketing industry. Weyand is with TMW Marketing in Fullerton.
* William F. Hodges has joined First American Trust Co. as vice president of business development. His previous experience includes having been senior vice president of personal trust for Comerica Bank-California in San Jose, managing director of Northern Trust Bank in Los Angeles and regional vice president of Security Pacific Bank in San Francisco.
* Thomas F. Holm has joined Michael Brandman Associates, a Tustin environmental consulting firm, as director of environmental services. He previously managed regional services for a national transportation and environmental studies firm, and managed the environmental and cultural resources divisions at the Keith Companies for eight years. Other new hires at the firm are: Larisa A. Roznowski, staff ecologist; Frans Vanzyl, landscape supervisor; and Kenneth Finger, project scientist and paleontological monitor.
* Steven Frieson has joined Boyle Engineering Corp. in Newport Beach as assistant regional director of transportation. Frieson has more than 14 years of experience in the design and management of transportation projects in Southern California. In addition, Cory A. Bersch was named assistant managing engineer. He is also director of Boyle's land development division in Orange County.
* Barry Mattingly has been named to the newly created post of director of OEM sales for Transitional Technology Inc., an Anaheim tape storage company. He was formerly a director of sales and marketing for CMD Technologies, and director of OEM sales at Mylex Corp.
* Brett L. Scott has been named chief financial officer of Cardiac Science Inc. in Irvine. He was previously chief financial officer at Neuro Navigational Corp. in Costa Mesa.
* Natolie C. Ochi has joined Ascolta Training Co., a provider of technical computer systems training in Irvine, as training and operations manager. She was previously controller and operations administrator for the Call Co., general manager for Asano Enterprises Inc., and owner of ByKono & Co., a San Diego computer consulting company.
* Kenneth Boes is the new manager of line services at John Wayne Airport for AMR Combs, the executive aviation affiliate of American Airlines. Boes began his career as a line service technician with the Million Air franchise operation at John Wayne in 1989.
* Doug Lowary has been named district sales manager for Oce-Office Systems, an Irvine-based supplier of office copiers and printing systems products. He had been national account manager for public sector sales. Succeeding him in that position is Richard Mink, who was with Eastman Kodak for more than 30 years, most recently as national accounts manager.
* Ralph Selway has been appointed a director of Saddleback Community Outreach, a South Orange County nonprofit corporation. Selway is vice president and branch manager for Glendale Federal Bank's Laguna Hills office.