Hitting coach Reggie Smith, suffering from pain and numbness in his neck and right arm, underwent surgery on his spine Tuesday at Centinela Hospital Medical Center. Smith, 51, will remain hospitalized for a few more days. He is expected to return to the club before the end of the season.
Infielder Juan Castro, who sprained his right knee June 4, is still not ready to play. But he has been sent down to triple-A Albuquerque in anticipation of a rehabilitation assignment.
The Colorado Rockies, their pitching staff battered because of the daily rigors of pitching in Coors Field and beset with injury problems, acquired right-hander Frank Castillo from the Chicago Cubs for minor league pitcher Matt Pool. Castillo, 28, is 6-9 with a 5.42 earned-run average. . . . Colorado right-hander Kevin Ritz will have surgery Thursday to repair a tear in his right shoulder. . . . Dante Bichette was due to bat fifth for the Rockies and start in left field. But Bichette, who left Monday night's game in the fourth inning because of allergy problems, was scratched from Tuesday's lineup at the last minute for the same reason. He had a pinch-hit RBI double in the eighth inning.
* Opponent--Florida Marlins, two games.
* Site--Pro Player Stadium, Miami.
* Radio--KABC (790), KWKW (1330).
* Records--Dodgers 50-43, Florida 53-38.
* Record vs. Marlins--1-4.
DODGERS' HIDEO NOMO (9-7, 3.64 ERA) vs. MARLINS' KEVIN BROWN (8-6, 2.91 ERA)
* Update--On their second trip to Florida this season, the Dodgers are still looking for their first victory. Visiting the Marlins in April, the Dodgers were swept in a three-game series, the Marlins outscoring them, 16-8. Nomo has pitched well in his last two starts, winning both while giving up only one earned run in 14 innings. Now in their fifth season, the Marlins have never won a season series from the Dodgers.
* Thursday, 4 p.m.--Dodgers' Tom Candiotti (5-2, 2.67) vs. Marlins' Al Leiter (7-6, 5.02).