Here's places to learn about things from dinosaurs to Mars:
* "Adventures in Nature" (Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, 900 Exposition Blvd.) Weeklong courses, mornings (10 a.m.-noon) or afternoons (1-3 p.m.), offer children ages 3 to 13 classes on dinosaurs, whales, bugs, reptiles, marine life, mummies and more. $70 for museum members, $80 for nonmembers. Call (213) 763-3534.
* Summer Day Camps for Children (Autry Museum of Western Heritage, 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles). Weeklong courses for children ages 7-12 teach Western history through hands-on activities. July 28-Aug. 1, "Endangered Animals of the West" (ages 7-9); Aug. 4-8, "The Art of Nature" (ages 7-9); Aug. 11-15, "Native People Native Land" (ages 10-12); Aug. 11-15, "Pioneers and Early Communities" (ages 10-12). Classes are $55 for members, $65 for nonmembers. Call (213) 667-2000, Ext. 341.
* Summer Science Workshops at the California Museum of Science and Industry (700 State Drive, Exposition Park, Los Angeles). Weeklong sessions 9-11 a.m. or noon-2 p.m.; also Saturdays from 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Classes in three age groups (ages 5-7, 8-10 and 11-13) cover subjects such as bathtub engineering, the mission to Mars, amusement park physics, rocketry and more. Fee $31 for members, $35 for nonmembers. Call (213) 744-7440.
* Science at the Seashore Summer Workshops (Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, 3720 Stephen White Drive, San Pedro). "Galloping Snails and Other Fishy Tales," a weeklong program, Aug. 4-8, 9 a.m.-noon, lets children examine sea snails and other animals, create storybooks and go crab fishing. Fee $72 for members, $80 for nonmembers. Call (310) 548-7562, Ext. 7017.
* Junior Ranger Programs (Tuesdays and Thursdays at Point Magu State Park, Pacific Coast Highway, four miles east of Ventura County line--enter park at Sycamore Campground; or Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays at Leo Carrillo State Park, PCH at Ventura County line). Learn about the parks during hourlong nature hikes for kids ages 7-12. Free; parking $6. (805) 986-8591.
* The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area sponsors workshops for children almost every summer weekend. This Saturday at 11 a.m., "Lizards, Snakes and Crawling Creatures," ages 4-8 accompanied by adult. Topanga State Park. Free. Call (310) 454-8212 for reservations.