YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


Edison's White Loses His Cool After Tie

Football: Coach says, 'We got robbed,' after time runs out with field-goal unit on the field in 30-30 tie with Capistrano Valley


MISSION VIEJO — Edison Coach Dave White was fit to be tied, literally and figuratively, after his team's 30-30 tie with Capistrano Valley Friday night before 3,500 fans.

"We got robbed," White said after he watched the clock run out with his kicker, David Yonts, lining up for a possible game-winning field goal. "There were 10 judgment calls in that game and we were 0 for 10. I've never said that in 19 years of coaching. They're a great football team and we outplayed them. We just got jobbed."

If Yonts had converted one of two failed extra-point tries or if running back Darin Pope hadn't fumbled while he struggled for extra yardage with three minutes remaining, White probably wouldn't have been so steamed, and Yonts' last-gasp field-goal attempt wouldn't have mattered.

Capistrano Valley Coach Dave Brown was in a different kind of mood after watching his team tie for the second time in two weeks. Last week, Capistrano Valley blew a 15-point lead and tied La Mirada, 21-21. This week, they came back from a 30-22 deficit with four minutes 24 seconds left to tie seventh-ranked Edison.

"I'm proud of the way my kids didn't give up," Brown said. "They were getting knocked around pretty good."

The biggest play for 10th-ranked Cougars came a minute after they appeared to give away the game on a fumble with three minutes left. Running back Ryan Brown was running toward the end zone when the ball flew out at Edison's 32. Manuel Adams fell on it for Edison, which only had to make a few first downs to run out the clock and secure the victory.

On third and five, Pope was fighting for a first down in the middle of a pile when the ball popped loose from his hands. Joe Brown picked it up and stumbled out of bounds at the Edison four after being hit by quarterback Jeff Grady.

"We talk about stripping kids during practice and then the kids did it in the clutch," Dave Brown said.

On the next play, Ryan Brown redeemed himself by running untouched into the end zone. Brown ran for the conversion to tie it at 30 with 1:35 left.

Edison defensive back John Moos returned the game-opening kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown and another 66 yards, but he was tackled at his own 26 this time. With eight seconds left, Grady heaved a bomb that Brandon Boerner dove under at the Capistrano Valley six.

The clock stopped momentarily because of the first down, the referees started it again before Edison could snap the ball.

"The sticks weren't set, but they still started the clock," White said. When he finally cooled off, White put the tie into perspective.

"I'm proud of my kids," he said. "That's the bottom line. We're not a talented team. We just have big hearts."

Los Angeles Times Articles