* Entertainment studies courses in multimedia and digital technologies
* Writing for interactive media
Address: UCLA Extension, 10995 LeConte Ave., Los Angeles 90024
Telephone: (800) 554-UCLA (catalog requests); (310) 825-9971 or (818) 784-7006 (for registration)
Venice/Oakwood Jobs Programs
* The Job Bank, a Santa Monica/Venice-based employment service offering workshops on resume writing and job search techniques, skills training opportunities, monthly bulletin for employers listing jobs for local workers. (310) 822-8687
* St. Joseph Center Restaurant Training Program. Regular classes in food service, with certification and jobs placement assistance. (310) 450-9095
* Venice Community Housing Corp. develops affordable housing and offers construction jobs training program for at-risk youth. (310) 399-4100
* Venice Skills Center. Jobs-training and job-placement assistance. Contact Cynthia Conley at (310) 392-4153, Ext. 108. Fees range from free to $35, plus nominal material fees.
Cost: Free, except where noted
Verdugo Jobs and Assessment Center
Federally funded organization serving primarily workers laid off by aerospace and defense contractors or subcontractors (regardless of residence). Also serves people in other industries who live in Glendale, Burbank, La Canada-Flintridge or Los Angeles.
* Job postings
* Vocational assessment
* Retraining assistance
* Job search counseling
* Computer access to statewide job listings
* Professionally prepared resumes and correspondence
* Newsletter with client advertising
* Stress management and counseling for anxiety, anger, discouragement and other emotional issues of unemployment for clients and their families
* General job search assistance
Cost: Free to qualified clients
Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon.-Thur.
Address: 2600 W. Victory Blvd., 2nd Floor, Burbank
Telephone: (818) 972-2695
Women at Work
Nonprofit organization focusing on career concerns of women, but men are welcome.
* Drop-in resource room featuring a library and job listings
* Counseling, testing and resume writing
* Specially funded programs for single parents, displaced homemakers and Latina professionals with limited English
* Evening workshops on career planning, resume writing, interview techniques, networking and job hunting after 50
* Information dissemination and counseling on nontraditional job opportunities for women (trade and tech)
Costs: Drop-in resource room, suggested donation $2; counseling and resume writing, $55; occupational testing, including counseling, $110; evening workshops, free-$20
Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Mon., Tue. and Thur.; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Wed.
Address: 50 N. Hill Ave., Suite 300, Pasadena
Telephone: (818) 796-6870
Women Helping Women Services
A nonsectarian community service agency sponsored by the National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles.
* Job-hunting support group
* Talkline (telephone counseling service and training to become a volunteer counselor)
* Community referrals for networking and education
* Job postings
* Low-fee psychological counseling for job seekers
Cost: Low fees based on sliding scale and individual's income; Talkline, free
Hours: Talkline, 10 a.m.- 1 p.m. Mon.-Thur. and 6-8 p.m. Tues. and Wed.; 24-hour voicemail
Address: NCJW/LA Women's Center, 543 N. Fairfax Ave., Los Angeles
Telephone: (213) 655-3807