SAN DIEGO — A college student who went to Tijuana for a day of shopping and spring break fun collapsed and died on the sidewalk after having a drink at a bar, authorities said Friday.
Kavita Chopra, 21, a student at Fullerton College, died Thursday of nonspecific cardiomyopathy, a heart muscle disease, according to a preliminary autopsy report by the Tijuana coroner's office.
More details, including results from toxicology tests, were expected to be released today, authorities said.
Relatives reached by telephone Friday at the home Chopra shared with her parents, Anand and Kamini Chopra of Anaheim, said the woman went on an impromptu day trip to Tijuana to celebrate spring break with a friend.
The women stopped at a Tijuana bar during the afternoon, but authorities were unclear about the time. Chopra apparently ordered a pina colada, but didn't finish it, according to her friend.
When they left the bar about 4:30 p.m., Chopra told her friend she didn't feel good and needed to sit down, according to a relative. A few moments later, she passed out. Efforts to resuscitate her were unsuccessful.