In honor of National Poetry Month, author Wilton Barnhardt will moderate the second annual Poetry Festival at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Newport Beach Central Library, 1000 Avocado Ave.
Poets and authors who will read selected poetry that has influenced their lives and writing are Lee Mallory, Jo-Ann Mapson, Tony Barnstone, Laura O'Connor, Jay Carter, Gabrielle Daniels, David Friedman, Jay Gummerman, Elizabeth Kadetsky and Jeff Lytle.
Admission: $5; $3 for students, seniors and Newport Beach Public Library Foundation members. Reservations: (714) 717-3890.
Dana Point resident Peggy Phillips, author of "Two Women Under Water," will sign at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Dana Niguel Library, 33841 Niguel Road, Dana Point.
Phillips' book (Fithian Press; $12.95) describes her encounter with former Third Reich filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl during a nine-day scuba-diving trip to the Red Sea.
Phillips, 81, is a veteran publicist and television writer whose credits include "Lassie," "Days of Our Lives," "My Three Sons" and "The Donna Reed Show."
The Christian Writers Fellowship of Orange County will present its annual Spring Writers Day from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Grace Community Church, 26052 Trabuco Road, Lake Forest.
Novelist Jack Cavanaugh will be keynote speaker. Workshops will be conducted on the media, article-writing and drama. Cost: $45, includes lunch. Registration: (714) 751 7824 or (714) 768-3891.
Corona del Mar writer Barbara DeMarco Barrett is hosting "Writers on Writing," a new half-hour radio show, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. on KUCI, 88.9 FM. Her guests this week: poets Victor Infante and Michelle Ben-Hur.
Also This Week:
* Jeff Hummel, author of "Emancipating the Slaves, Enslaving Free Men," will speak at 3 p.m. today at Barnes & Noble at the Huntington Beach Mall, 7777 Edinger Ave.
* Ann Hazard and Bob Bonn, the author and illustrator of "Cooking With Baja Magic," will speak and sign at 2 p.m. today at Barnes & Noble, 26751 Aliso Creek Road, Aliso Viejo.
* A six-day book sale will begin at 5 p.m. Monday at the Huntington Beach Central Library, 7111 Talbert Ave.
* Jeffrey Denhart, author of "Just Bones," will speak and sign at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Coffee, Tea & Mystery, 13232 Springdale St., Westminster.
* Travel author Stephanie Avnet will sign and discuss great escapes in Southern California featured in her guide book "Frommer's Wonderful Weekends From Los Angeles" at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Barnes & Noble, 26751 Aliso Creek Road, Aliso Viejo.
* A book sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday at the library at Orange Coast College, 2701 Fairview Road, Costa Mesa.
* Lionel Sosa, author of "The American Dream: How Latinos Can Achieve Success in Business and in Life," will sign at 7 p.m. Thursday at Martinez Books and Art Gallery, 200 N. Main St., Santa Ana.
* Maurice Medland, author of the suspense thriller "Point of Honor," will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Yorba Linda Public Library, 18181 Imperial Highway. Free. Reservations: (714) call (714) 777-2466.
* Linda Grant, author of "Vampire Bytes," will sign at 6 p.m. Thursday at Book Carnival, 348 S. Tustin Ave., Orange.
* David Morrell, author of "Double Time," will sign at noon Saturday, and Jan Burke, author of "Liar," will sign at 1 p.m. Saturday, at Book Carnival, 348 S. Tustin Ave., Orange. Morrell also will sign at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Coffee, Tea & Mystery, 13232 Springdale St., Westminster. Burke also will be at Coffee, Tea & Mystery for a signing at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
* Shirlee Taylor Haizlip, author of the award-winning interracial family memoir "The Sweeter the Juice," will speak at 7 p.m. Saturday at Brea Congregational Church, 300 E. Imperial Highway. Admission: $5; $2 for students.
* Children's author Betty DeKlyne and 15-year-old illustrator Anthony Kuhn will read and discuss their book, "The Adventures of Alexander and His Ragtime Gram," at 6 p.m. Saturday at Barnes & Noble, 26751 Aliso Creek Road, Aliso Viejo.