YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


St. Jude's Outpatient Surgery Center Evacuated in Fire

April 21, 1998|VALERIE BURGHER

An early morning fire Monday forced the evacuation of St. Jude Medical Center's outpatient surgery facility.

Sylvia Palmer, public information officer for the city, said no hospital workers were hurt but a firefighter injured his ankle.

The fire was blamed on a malfunction in an air conditioner.

Firefighters responded at 8:58 a.m. after an automatic fire alarm went off in a room of St. Jude's surgery center at 1835 N. Sunnycrest Drive, across from the main hospital.

Staff evacuated the center and the hospital's adjoining accounting offices.

Fortunately, the Monday morning surgery schedule was light, said Tamatha Stanley, the hospital's spokeswoman. "No one was undergoing surgery at the time," she said.

One patient who had just had surgery and another who was about to undergo a procedure were transported to St. Jude's main facility across the street. Another post-operative patient was sent home.

The facility sustained significant water and smoke damage, Palmer said, but the hospital has not estimated the cost of repairs.

Los Angeles Times Articles