Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

News in Brief: A summary of developments across Los
Angeles County | Community News File / Silver Lake

Man Injured in Fire at Home That Had No Alarm

April 23, 1998

A 70-year-old man was burned on his face and shoulders in a fire at a bungalow that was not equipped with a smoke alarm, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman said Wednesday.

The fire was reported shortly after 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 800 block of Lucile Avenue, spokesman Brian Humphrey said. Firefighters were able to rescue the man and put out the blaze in about 17 minutes, Humphrey said.

"A smoke alarm might have prevented any injuries," Humphrey said.

Paramedics took the man, whose name was not released, to Queen of Angels-Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center with first- and second-degree burns, Humphrey said.

The fire was caused by a malfunctioning water heater that runs on natural gas, authorities said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|