Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting last week in front of Culver City High School that wounded two former students, police said Monday.
The names of the suspects, 15 and 16, were not released because they are minors, said Lt. Ray Scheu of the Culver City Police Department.
Officers arrested the teens after Wednesday night's shooting as they were walking down Washington Boulevard and Redwood Avenue in Culver City, he said.
As police approached, the 16-year-old removed a small-caliber handgun from his waistband and threw it into the bushes, Scheu said. Police later determined that he had prior arrests for burglary and weapons offenses.
Both suspects were being held in juvenile hall in the San Fernando Valley. A date for their arraignment on attempted murder charges has not been set. A third suspect in the case, who is also a teenager, was still being sought.
"Both the victims and the assailants have affiliations with Los Angeles-based gangs," said Scheu, who would not name the gangs.
The victims are both in stable condition at Los Angeles-area hospitals, said Culver City spokeswoman Randi Joseph.