Harriet Zeitlin, widow of former Life magazine Hollywood correspondent David Zeitlin, will discuss "Shooting Stars: Favorite Photos Taken by Classic Celebrities" at the Round Table West literary luncheon at noon Thursday at the Balboa Bay Club, 1221 W. Coast Highway, Newport Beach.
The book is a collection of photos, discovered in cardboard boxes after David Zeitlin's death in 1991, that were shot by celebrities, and the stories behind them. Among the celebrity shutterbugs: Yul Brynner, Kirk Douglas, Dean Martin, Alfred Hitchcock and John Wayne, who told Zeitlin, "Wherever my work takes me, my camera, or rather cameras, are as much a part of my personal baggage as my toothbrush."
Observed Liberace: "I chose photography as a hobby because I can follow it without taking a chance of injuring my hands."
Said James Michener: "I look on a camera almost exactly as a teenage boy looks on a jalopy."
Joining Harriet Zeitlin in discussing their books will be Jason Kelly, author of "Y2K: It's Already Too Late," a novel about the year 2000 computer crisis; and S.L. Stebel, author of "Double Your Creative Power! Make Your Subconscious Your Partner in the Writing Process."
Tickets are $40. Reservations: (213) 256-7977.
Also This Week
* Dolly Carlson, author of "Gifts From the Heart," will speak and sign at 2 p.m. today at Barnes & Noble, 13712 Jamboree Road, Irvine.
* Carol Asada and Joanne Haase, authors of "Conscious Eating: How to Stop Eating in Response to Everything!" will speak and sign at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Barnes & Noble in Metro Pointe, 901 South Coast Drive, Costa Mesa.
* Martin Dugard, author of "Surviving the Toughest Race on Earth," will speak and sign at 7 p.m. Thursday at Barnes & Noble in Fashion Island, 953 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach.
* Tracey McBride, author of "Frugal Luxuries: Simple Pleasures to Enhance Your Life and Comfort Your Soul," will speak and sign at 7 p.m. Thursday at Barnes & Noble in Irvine Spectrum, 31 Fortune Drive.
* Poet Bob Margulies will read at 7 p.m. Thursday at Barnes & Noble, 13712 Jamboree Road, Irvine.
* Harold Stephens, author of "The Last Voyage," will speak and sign at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Barnes & Noble in MainPlace/Santa Ana, 280 N. Main St.