No. School (Record): Comment
1. Connecticut (5-0) King Richard and his court.
2. Duke (6-1) Loss to Cincinnati was at the buzzer.
3. Maryland (8-0) Sights set on NCAA alley-oop title.
4. North Carolina (8-0) Who's No. 1 in ACC power trio?
5. Cincinnati (4-0) Dunked Duke on home run play.
6. Stanford (4-1) Must challenge Maryland or slip back.
7. Kentucky (6-1) Puerto Rico was the Pitts.
8. Arizona (3-0) Quiet but will be heard from.
9. Michigan St. (4-2) UConn today; Cleaves not playing well.
10. Syracuse (6-1) Lost in own tournament.
11. Purdue (6-1) Plays Xavier today.
12. Indiana (7-1) Can knock Temple out of top 25.
13. Kansas (4-1) Smoked by Kentucky in not-so-Great Eight.
14. Washington (4-1) A lot more than rebound short against UConn.
15. Oklahoma State (4-1) Fled to Pacific after Florida Atlantic.
16. Pittsburgh (7-1) Upsets behind, tough schedule looms.
17. New Mexico (5-0) Lamont Long leads the way.
18. UCLA (3-2) Baron is back, Bruins come along slowly.
19. Arkansas (5-1) Bradley bombed in Villanova loss.
20. Xavier (5-2) Hard-to-figure team so far.
21. Miami (Ohio) (4-1) Wally's whirl.
22. Temple (4-2) But only No. 3 in Pennsylvania.
23. Rhode Island (4-3) Should get better as time goes by.
24. Utah (3-3) Didn't lose third last year until March.
25. USC (5-0) Pending Dec. 12 showing against Kansas.
GAME OF THE WEEK
No. 5 STANFORD (4-1) vs. No. 2 MARYLAND (8-0)
* When: Sunday. Time: 10 a.m. TV: Channel 7.
* Story line: Stanford would have been the favorite at the start of the season coming off its Final Four appearance, but Maryland is a hot and confident team after its showing in Puerto Rico. Guard Steve Francis, a junior college transfer, teams with Laron Profit and Terrell Stokes to give the Terrapins the sort of aggressive, high-scoring guards who can give Stanford trouble, and center Obinna Ekezie is a daunting inside presence.