Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

VALLEY FOCUS | Tujunga

Sister Burned as Boy Sets Fire to Mattress

January 13, 1998|CLAIRE VITUCCI

A mattress fire ignited by a 4-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter injured the boy and his 3-year-old sister, authorities said.

Amanda Gilhooley, who suffered burns over 15% of her body, was initially taken with her brother by air ambulance to Los Angeles Childrens Hospital. She was later transferred to Los Angeles County USC Medical Center's burn unit, where she was listed in fair condition.

Her older brother, Eric Gilhooley, who suffered smoke inhalation, was expected to be treated and released from Childrens Hospital, said Steve Rutledge, a hospital spokesman.

The fire began about 11 a.m. in the 10200 block of Samoa Avenue. The two children were in a bedroom when the boy ignited the mattress, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Bob Collis.

The children's mother, Rhonda Gilhooley, 38, ran into the room after she heard the smoke alarm. The woman told authorities she extinguished the fire herself running back and forth from the kitchen carrying a pot of water, Collis said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|