Advertisement

FOCUS: ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY NEWS | LAGUNA NIGUEL

Malfunctioning Sign Is Blamed for Fire at Business

January 14, 1998|STEVE CARNEY

A malfunctioning outdoor sign at a business office started an early morning fire that caused about $26,000 damage Tuesday, the Orange County Fire Authority reported.

The fire at Furon Co., a manufacturer of Teflon seals and bearings, began with an electrical problem with the sign about 6:10 a.m., Fire Authority Capt. Scott Brown said. Flames were visible when firefighters arrived at the business, 29982 Ivy Glenn Lane, Laguna Niguel, Brown said.

About 35 firefighters battled the blaze, which damaged the second floor and attic before it was extinguished, Brown said.

A company spokeswoman said the fire destroyed old papers, press releases, annual reports and other items. She said employees might be able to return to the building today.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|