* Ability to provide own transportation
Enrollment: Program features open enrollment and operates on a year-round basis, with new classes forming every 10 weeks.
Cost: $5 registration fee
Hours: Classes offered 8 a.m.-1:15 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
* African-American Unity Center, 944 W. 53rd St., Los Angeles, CA 90037, (213) 789-5656
Aware Advisory Center
Services: Vocational and educational counseling; not a placement service
Cost: $5 donation per visit (may be waived for the unemployed); $20 fee for Strong Interest Inventory testing (includes counseling)
Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon. and Wed.
Address: Santa Monica YWCA, 2019 14th St., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Telephone: (310) 452-3833
Serves primarily lower-income individuals and families in East Los Angeles and surrounding areas, but all persons are welcome.
* Two-day employment readiness seminar in English
* Job-search mentoring
* Help with resumes
* Interview practice
* Placement and follow-ups
* Referrals to employers
* Job club
Cost: Free to participants and employers
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
Address: 717 S. Brady Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90022
Telephone: (213) 722-4495
Nonprofit organization provides a wide variety of services to people who are legally blind. Offers more than 200 classes in independent living skills.
* Learning Center for active job seekers. Offers classes covering resume writing, interview skills and adaptive equipment
* Career development
* Job search and placement
* On-site job analysis before and after placement
* Subsidy program for adaptive equipment
* Annual seminar for employers
* Free consultations to employers regarding visual impairment in the workplace
* School-to-work transition services for youths 16-20 years of age, including summer career camp
Costs: Free to legally blind clients
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
Address: 741 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90029
Telephone: (213) 663-1111
Business Ownership Service System
Entrepreneur training program offered by Santa Ana College to laid-off or soon-to-be laid-off workers. The 10-week program provides technical assistance, business ownership training, marketing guidance and help in business plan creation.
* Laid-off or soon-to-be laid-off workers
* High school graduates with reading skills at eighth-grade level or above
* Idea for a small business
Cost: Free to eligible candidates
Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
Telephone: (714) 564-5211 for appointment and reservation.
California Business Incubation Network
Nonprofit, statewide association advocates fostering the development of new business in California. Business incubators provide entrepreneurial services to small businesses during the start-up period with affordable space, shared support services and business development services such as financing, marketing and management.
Services offered by CBIN:
* Information clearinghouse
* Technical assistance with development and operations
* Seminars, conferences and workshops
* Speakers bureau
Cost: Free information packet; membership fees: $100 individual, $250 nonprofit and $500 corporate
Address: 101 W. Broadway, Suite 480, San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: Sheila Washington at (619) 237-0559; (800) 427-4710 (California only)
Facility-based incubators in Southern California:
* Border Environmental Commerce Alliance, 477 Marina Parkway, Chula Vista, CA 91910, (619) 498-4960
* Business Innovation Center, 852 5th Ave., Suite 207, San Diego, CA 92101, (619) 685-2949
* Business and Industry Services Center, 901 E. Santa Ana Blvd., Santa Ana, CA 92701-3920, (714) 564-5202
* Business Technology Center, 3601 Empire Blvd., Burbank, CA 91505, (818) 565-5635 * CalStart, 3601 Empire Blvd., Burbank, CA 91505, (818) 565-5600
* CHARO Enterprise Innovation Center, 3951 E. Medford St., Los Angeles, CA 90063, (213) 269-0751
* EC Square Annenberg Incubator Project, 746 W. Adams Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90089-7727, (213) 743-2344
* Inland Empire Business Incubator, 155 S. Memorial Drive, Suite B, San Bernardino, CA 92408, (909) 382-0065
* Lancaster Economic Development Corp., 104 E. Avenue K-4, Suite A, Lancaster, CA 93535, (805) 945-2741
* Pasadena Enterprise Center, 1015 N. Lake Ave., Suite 100, Pasadena, CA 91104, (626) 398-9974
* RBTIC (Ridgecrest Business Technology Incubator Center), 139 N. Balsam St., Ridgecrest, CA 93555, (619) 384-1118