Address: 1625 N. Schrader Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028
Los Angeles Trade-Technical College
A specialized institution, offering college-level career programs in trade, technical and business pursuits as well as offering general education courses. Offers transfer curriculum that includes general education requirements and preparation for major requirements for transfer to four-year college institutions.
* Career/Equity Center
* Continuing Education and Community Services Center
* Financial Aid
* Student Employment Center
* Counseling Center
* Transfer Center
* Disabled students programs and services
* Automotive mechanics techology
* Chemical technology
* Computer information systems
* Electrical construction maintainance
* Fashion design
* Machine shop CNC
* Registered nursing
* Refrigeration/air conditioning mechanics
* Visual communications (graphic arts)
* PACE program offering evening and Saturday classes for full-time working adults
Eligibility: Anyone 18 years or older qualifies for admission; those under 18 may qualify if certain requirements are met.
Cost: $13 per unit per semester; enrollment fee waiver assistance is available
Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Mon.-Thur.; 7 a.m.-4 p.m., Fri. and Sat.
Address: 400 W. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015-4181
Telephone: (213) 744-9058
Los Angeles Urban League
Seeks to secure social and economic opportunities for African Americans and other minorities through a variety of programs, including counseling, training, placement and community development.
* Employment Services Department assists job-ready applicants who are professional, skilled or semi-skilled and seeking employment or a career change. Applicants are served through counseling, workshops and a job bank.
* Ron Brown Information Technology Center offers courses in computer programming, computer operations and automated office procedures.
* Pomona Valley TEC conducts specialized vocational training in electronics, machine-tool technology, word processing and data entry. Displaced workers program.
* Milken Family Literacy & Youth Training Center provides instruction in reading, writing, math and problem solving to assist youth and their families in developing skills to compete for employment.
* Pasadena-Foothill branch offers career counseling and job placement.
* Automotive Training Center
* Ron Brown Business Development Center
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
Headquarters address: 3450 Mount Vernon Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90008; call for addresses of other locations
Web site: http://www.career
Telephone: (213) 299-9660
Mexican American Opportunity Foundation
* Job listings
* Computer training
* Work experience for preschool teachers' aides
* Basic skills training in reading comprehension and math
* School-to-Career program prepares youths (both in school and out) for the job market and offers vocational training customized to employers needs
* Child care, (213) 890-9616
* ESL citizenship and literacy classes
Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
Address: 401 N. Garfield Ave., Montebello, CA 90640
Telephone: (213) 890-9600
National Board for Certified Counselors
National certification organization making consumer referrals to nationally certified career counselors.
Service: Provides a list of certified counselors by state
Cost: Referrals are free
Address: 3 Terrace Way, Suite D, Greensboro, NC 27403
Hours: 5:30 a.m.-2 p.m. (California time), Mon.-Fri.
Telephone: (910) 547-0607; fax (910) 547-0017 (to request a list of nationally certified career counselors in your area)
Application for certification: (800) 398-5389
Orange County One-Stop Career Centers
Offers training to adults who are long-term unemployed (14 weeks or more), laid off, economically disadvantaged; older workers (55 years and older); out-of-school youths (18-22 years old). Also assists in finding employment after completion of training.
* Aptitude, basic skills and interest-inventory testing
* Referrals to vocational classroom training
* Job development
* Job readiness workshops
* Basic reading and math skills
* Job placement and retention services
Costs: Free to qualified applicants
* Anaheim: 50 S. Anaheim Blvd., Suite 300, Anaheim, CA 92805, (714) 254-4350
* Coastal: 2627 Vista Del Oro, Newport Beach, CA 92660, (714) 718-1200
* County: 1300 S. Grand, Building B, Third Floor, Santa Ana, CA 92705, (714) 567-7542
* Garden Grove: 11277 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite C, Garden Grove, CA 92840, (714) 741-5020
* La Habra: 1811 W. La Habra Blvd., La Habra, CA 90631, (562) 905-7076
* Misson Viejo: 23456 Madero, Suite 150, Mission Viejo, CA 92691, (714) 707-2172