Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

FOCUS: ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY NEWS | SADDLEBACK/SOUTH
BEACH: DANA POINT

Smoke Alarm Helps Woman Escape Fire

January 24, 1998|STEVE CARNEY

A smoke detector helped a woman escape without injury early Friday when fire erupted in her home, authorities said.

"Clearly, this is a case where the smoke detector was responsible for saving a life," Fire Authority Capt. Scott Brown said. "If she had not been awakened by the smoke detector activation, it could very well have ended in a fatality."

Firefighters at the home in the 33600 block of Crossjack Drive found that a malfunctioning refrigerator had started a fire in the kitchen, Brown said. The resident, Yvonne Conners, was asleep when the fire broke out about 1 a.m., he said.

After the smoke detector roused her, she fled the house.

The fire caused about $35,000 in damage.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|