Advertisement

FOCUS: ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY NEWS | NORTHWEST: CYPRESS

Eatery's Entertainment Permit Studied Again

January 30, 1998|JULIO V. CANO

For the third time in a year, the City Council will consider whether Via Maria Restaurant should be allowed to offer live entertainment.

Council members this week called for a review hearing, to be held Feb. 23, in the wake of a Jan. 4 stabbing in the Mexican restaurant's parking lot and several other recent calls for police.

"The felony assaults pose a threat to the community," Mayor Mary Ann Jones said. "They are significant incidents to warrant a public hearing."

The Ball Street restaurant had been allowed to keep its live-entertainment permit after agreeing during two previous hearings to work with police in reducing noise and other problems.

Restaurant owner Paul Blumenfeld said increased security and working with police have helped matters.

"I have done everything to keep the noise down and lessen problems," he said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|