Traffic on a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu will be limited to one lane in each direction for three more months, but officials are hopeful that commuters and beach-goers this summer will not experience crippling traffic jams.
Workers at the site of last month's rockslide at Las Flores Canyon Road began a daily 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. schedule this week to carve off the top off the bluff, removing more than 300,000 cubic yards of soil to a landfill project in the Pacific Palisades, Caltrans spokeswoman Margie Tiritilli said Wednesday.
If all goes well, grading the formerly 225-foot hillside and instituting erosion control measures should take until October, Tiritilli said.
Two homes atop the bluff were demolished late last month to prevent them from falling onto the highway.
While work continues, traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction for a 2000-foot stretch near Las Flores Canyon Road.
In the lanes abutting the bluff, stacked cargo containers form a 16-foot wall to keep debris and rocks from raining onto the roadway.