An apartment fire left three roommates homeless Tuesday afternoon, but no one was injured, said Orange County Fire Authority officials.
Firefighters responded to a call in the 200 block of Avenida Monterey about 2 p.m., Fire Authority Capt. Scott Brown said. Neighbors had called to report smoke coming from the upstairs bedroom of the unit.
Nearly 20 firefighters extinguished the blaze in 20 minutes. There was extensive smoke and structural damage to the home. The three residents were not inside when flames broke out, Brown said.
The Orange County Red Cross provided the three, whose names were not released, with clothing, lodging in a nearby hotel and medications that had been lost in the blaze, Red Cross spokeswoman Judy Iannaccone said.
The Fire Authority is still investigating the fire.