Advertisement
 

Councilman Will Not Face Assault Charges

FOCUS: ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY NEWS | SANTA ANA

March 19, 1998|HOPE HAMASHIGE

Criminal assault charges will not be filed against City Councilman Ted R. Moreno, the district attorney's office said Wednesday. Councilman Brett Franklin filed a complaint last month that Moreno had shoved him during a break in the Feb. 17 council meeting after a contentious public hearing.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Sheila Hanson said "there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Moreno intentionally assaulted Mr. Franklin."

Moreno, who is serving his second term on the council and has declared he will run for mayor this year, said he was pleased to have the incident behind him. Moreno contends that he mistakenly bumped into Franklin.

"I'm glad they figured out that it was all fictional," Moreno said.

Franklin said he believed he made his point--that violent behavior will not be tolerated from city officials--regardless of the district attorney's decision.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|