A California native, Rohrabacher was a newspaper editorial writer before joining President Reagan's speech-writing staff in 1981. He was elected to Congress in 1988.
* Political party: Republican
* Age: 51
* Residence: Huntington Beach
* Education: Bachelor of arts, history, Cal State Long Beach, 1969; master's, American studies, USC, 1975.
* Career highlights: Elected to Congress, 1988. Chair, House space and aeronautics subcommittee and senior member of Foreign Relations Committee. Worked on 1976 and 1980 presidential campaigns of Ronald Reagan; Reagan speech writer 1981-88.
* Priorities: Promote commercialization of space. Protect rights of U.S. patent holders. Continue pressure to deny most-favored nation status to China.