Angel outfielder/catcher Todd Greene decided not to risk it any more. He switched lockers Monday and moved to the other side of the clubhouse.
"Are you kidding?" Greene said when asked why. "That locker has caused two Hall-of-Fame-type players to get released and a guy to hit .230 and get demoted."
Eddie Murray (1997) and Cecil Fielder (1998) were the locker's previous residences. Neither made it beyond August.
The .230 hitter? That would be Greene, who was demoted to triple-A Edmonton on July 7 and recalled on July 30.
Greene had two hits and scored two runs the day he moved.
Relief pitcher Mike James pitched four shutout innings, giving up three hits, in a rehabilitation start for Class-A Lake Elsinore on Tuesday. . . . Pitchers Jason Dickson (shoulder surgery) and Pep Harris (elbow surgery) will both be sent to the Arizona Instructional League this fall. Dickson began throwing off the mound last week.
* Opponent--Boston Red Sox, four games.
* Site--Edison Field
* Tonight--7 p.m.
* TV--Fox Sports West tonight and Friday; Channel 11 Saturday.
* Radio--KLAC (570), XPRS (1090)
* Records--Angels 45-61, Red Sox 58-49
* Record vs. Red Sox--0-3
* Tickets--(714) 663-9000
(5-10, 5.76 ERA)
(6-3, 4.24 ERA)
Edison Field, 7 p.m.
TV--Fox Sports West.
Radio--KLAC (570), XPRS (1090)
* Update--The Red Sox sit a half-game back of the Toronto Blue Jays in the wild card race. Pedro Martinez returned from the disabled list Tuesday and allowed one run in five innings in a loss to Cleveland. The Angels will alter their scheduled starters, as Collins said Tim Belcher will start one game this weekend. Belcher has been out since June 26 with a broken small finger on his right hand.
* Friday--Angels' Steve Sparks (5-7, 4.90 ERA) vs. Red Sox's Bret Saberhagen (7-4, 3.21 ERA), 7 p.m.
* Saturday--Jack McDowell (0-3, 7.20) vs. Pat Rapp (3-5, 4.61), 1 p.m.
* Sunday--Mike Fyhrie (0-3, 5.00) vs. Pedro Martinez (15-3, 2.48), 5 p.m.