Ian Prichard of Buena High and the Buenaventura Swim Club finished fifth in the 800-meter freestyle at the Phillips 66 U.S. National Summer Swimming Championships on Friday at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minn.
Prichard knocked nearly seven seconds off his career-best with a time of 8:10.42 in the only race of the first day of the meet.
Prichard, 17, qualified 14th for the meet in the 800 with a time of 8:17.27.
Ryk Neethling, 21, of the Hillenbrand Swim Club in Tucson, Ariz., won the 800 in 7:59.41.Chad Carvin, 25, of the Mission Viejo Nadadores finished second in 8:00.53.
Mark Warkentin, a 19-year-old sophomore at USC who swims for Buenaventura and was top-seeded, placed third in 8:02.20.
Philip Sheng, a Thousand Oaks High junior, defeated Eric Ward of Thomasville, Ga., 6-3, 6-4, in the U.S. Tennis Assn. boys' 18s National Hardcourt Championships at Kalamazoo, Mich.
Sheng and Nick Weiss of Calabasas beat Scott Mayer and Seth McKinley of San Antonio, Texas, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, in the first round of doubles play.
Weiss defeated Beau Berglund of Littleton, Colo., 6-3, 6-2, in singles.
Quinn Borchard of Rio Mesa High advanced in singles when Zachary Held of Indianapolis retired because of injury with Borchard leading, 6-3, 1-3.
Borchard and Paul Warkentin of Santa Barbara defeated Ryan Harwood of North Woodmere, N.Y., and Michael Mestel of Montville, N.J., 1-6, 6-0, 6-1.
Travis Rettenmaier of Camarillo defeated Michael Rubin of Canton, Ohio, 6-3, 6-1, and Alex Menichini of Calabasas defeated Jacob Cram of Littleton, Colo., 6-3, 6-3.
Eric Simonton of Annandale, N.J., knocked off Erik Janson of Westlake Village, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2), and Andrew Rosenfeld of Harvard-Westlake High and Adam Zunder of Campbell Hall High advanced with byes.
Rosenfeld and Zoran Korac of San Marino defeated Ryan Gerstner of Austin, Texas, and Ryan Kilpatrick of Plano, Texas, 6-1, 7-5.
Janson and John Michael Cham-A-Koon of Great Falls, Mont., won, 7-5, 6-1, over Gavin Arita of Mililani, Hawaii, and Matthew Frakes of Winchester, Va.
Sixth-seeded Rettenmaier and Alex Bogomolov of Miami, Fla. and Zunder and Amir Marandy of Woodland Hills had first-round byes.
* Ryan Heinberg of Agoura Hills, the USTA Southern California Junior champion, will be seeded fifth in the boys' 16 USTA National Hardcourt Championships today in Kalamazoo.
Heinberg earned a bye into the second round.
No. 23 Prakash Amritraj of Encino, and unseeded players Robert Yim of Glendale and Stephen Amritraj of Calabasas also have byes.
Garrett Wong of Thousand Oaks is scheduled to play Joel Kielbowicz of Henderson, Nev., and Lester Cook of Calabasas will face Jeffrey Lusk of Shreveport, La.
* Dwight Dumais of Ventura finished second in the boys' 13-and-under division 3-meter springboard diving preliminaries Thursday in the Junior Olympic National Championships at the YMCA Aquatics Center in Orlando, Fla.
Dumais scored 325.65 points.
Brice Dumais, Dwight's brother, was in 21st place after 1-meter springboard preliminaries in the 16- to 18-year-olds' division. He scored 237.45 points.
* Tim Hogarth of Chatsworth finished 11th in the Pacific Coast Amateur Championship on Friday at Seattle Country Club.
Hogarth shot 74-75-72-74--295.
* Justin Ohye of Calabasas tied for 54th in the Lucent Technologies Boys' Junior Championship on Friday at Gleneagles Country Club in Plano, Texas.
Ohye finished at 72-77-70-76--294.
* Sign-ups for U.S. Youth Volleyball League play are being taken at Arroyo Verde Park in Ventura.
The eight-week coed instructional league for players 8-14 will run from Sept. 15-Nov. 6.
Information, Veronica Sanchez, (310) 643-8398.
* The West Valley Soccer Academy will hold its final three camps of the summer the next three weeks.
The camps, under the direction of Marwan Ass'ad, former Cal State Northridge men's coach, will be Monday through Friday, Aug. 16-20 and 23-27 at Pierce College.
The camps are open to players 5-15 and will last from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. daily.
Information: (818) 591-9875.
* A volleyball camp for players of all levels is scheduled for Monday through Friday at Cal State Northridge.
The camp will be directed by Northridge women's volleyball Coach Lian Lu. Cost is $160. Information: (818) 677-3221.
* Volleyball camp sessions will be offered Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m.-noon and from 1-5 p.m. each day at the Santa Clarita Athletic Club.
Dean Conk, former Canyon High and Master's College coach, will direct the camp. Cost is $60 per session or $110 for both sessions.
Information: (661) 255-3365, ext. 226.