Linden Center Foster Care Families Inc. in Los Angeles needs foster families for children up to 18 years old. Training is held monthly. Reimbursement and support from social workers are provided. Information: Stephen P. Hydon, (877) FOSTER-1.
* Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, San Gabriel Valley chapter, needs men to sing barbershop-style music. Rehearsals are Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. at the San Gabriel Recreation Center in San Gabriel. Information: (626) 287-1007.
* Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro is accepting applications for its annual docent training classes to be held Monday mornings, September through December. Docents guide children on tours and give demonstrations on the beach. A two-year commitment is required. A $50 fee covers the cost of training, docent manual, textbook, name badge and a Friends of the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium membership. Information: (310) 548-7562, Ext. 5029.
* Ride to Fly, a therapeutic horseback riding program on Palos Verdes Peninsula for children and adults with disabilities, needs volunteers to walk beside riders and provide assistance when needed. Volunteers must be at least 14 and must attend training and safety classes. Information: Volunteer Center, South Bay-Harbor-Long Beach, (310) 212-5009.
* Civic Light Opera of South Bay Cities in Redondo Beach needs volunteers to attend concession booths and serve as ushers during performances. Information: Volunteer Center, South Bay-Harbor-Long Beach, (310) 212-5009.
* Meals on Wheels, Santa Monica, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, needs volunteer to deliver meals weekdays to the ill, elderly and other homebound people. Training is provided. Information: Joanna Vasquez, (310) 394-7558.
* Doingsomething, a nonprofit volunteer network, needs people to help a variety of charities in Los Angeles on one-time projects, usually three to four hours in length, on the weekends or weeknights. Information: (310) 391-3907.
* United States Youth Volleyball League, which provides children 8 to 14 the opportunity to learn and play volleyball, needs volunteers in Hermosa Beach two days a week to help with sign-ups, processing registration forms and other clerical tasks. Computer experience would be helpful. Information: Volunteer Center, South Bay-Harbor-Long Beach, (310) 212-5009.
* Compton Courts Scholarship Fund needs volunteers to track the career paths of past recipients and compile an information booklet to be distributed at the group's 20th anniversary celebration in 2002. Information: Volunteer Center, South Bay-Harbor-Long Beach, (310) 212-5009.
* Family Service Agency of Burbank needs volunteers 55 and older to staff its Senior Peer Counseling Program to help peers cope with issues related to aging. A 10-week training course is provided. Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Information: (818) 845-7671.
Information for this column should be submitted typed and double-spaced to Involvement Opportunities, SoCal Living, Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053.