Cascades Golf Club in Sylmar, the first new public golf course within the Los Angeles city limits since 1975, opens today.
Woodley Lakes Golf Course in Van Nuys opened July 2, 1975.
Cascades is a par-71, 6,600-yard layout designed by Rupert Cupp, architect of Spanish Hills Golf and Country Club in Camarillo.
Introductory greens fees are $50 with a cart through January.
Information: (818) 833-8900.
* Midfielder Andres Oropeza of Burbank High has committed to Cal State Northridge.
* All-Southern Section goalkeeper Katie Peck of Westlake has committed to Montana.
* Seventh-graders Hank Weintraub and Will Hindle-Katel, and sixth-grader Meghan Corso, students at Harvard-Westlake, have been selected to participate in the National Youth Development Camp for players 14-and-under next week.
* Ryan Stonerock, former Notre Dame High infielder, is transferring from Texas Tech to Glendale College.
* A session of the Cal Lu Dawgs Winter Baseball Camp for players 6-14 is scheduled for Dec. 20-23 at the Cal Lutheran baseball field.
Instruction will provided by the Cal Lutheran baseball coaching staff. Information: (805) 493-3398.
* Dive Thousand Oaks, a year-round U.S. Diving program based out of Thousand Oaks High, is seeking members for its boys' team. The team, which participates in age-group competition, is for boys and girls 7-17.
Information: Bill Douglas, (805) 499-6547.