Super Bowl XXXIII was the eighth Super Bowl played in Miami:
SUPER BOWL II--ORANGE BOWL, 1968
* Green Bay 33, Oakland 14: In Vince Lombardi's final game as Packer coach, Green Bay won its second consecutive Super Bowl. Packer quarterback Bart Starr, who was 13 for 24 for 202 yards and a touchdown, was voted most valuable player for the second year in a row. Herb Adderly returned an interception 60 yards for a touchdown for the final score.
SUPER BOWL III--ORANGE BOWL, 1969
* N.Y. Jets 16, Baltimore 7: Jet quarterback Joe Namath guaranteed a victory on Thursday before the game, and he helped deliver the AFL's first Super Bowl victory. Namath was 17 for 28 for 206 yards and Matt Snell rushed for 121 yards. The Jets intercepted Colt quarterback Earl Morrall three times in the first half and took a 16-0 lead before Johnny Unitas, who sat out most of the season because of a sore elbow, came off the bench to lead the Colts to a touchdown late in the fourth quarter.
SUPER BOWL V--ORANGE BOWL, 1971
* Baltimore 16, Dallas 13: Rookie kicker Jim O'Brien kicked a 32-yard field goal with five seconds left to complete the Colt comeback. The Colts scored 10 points in the fourth quarter; the scores were set up by interceptions by Rick Volk and Mike Curtis. Morrall redeemed himself for his poor game in Super Bowl III by relieving the injured Unitas and leading the Colt rally. Cowboy linebacker Chuck Howley was the first (and still only) player from a losing team to be voted most valuable player. The game was the first Super Bowl played on artificial turf.
SUPER BOWL X--ORANGE BOWL, 1976
* Pittsburgh 21, Dallas 17: The Steelers became the third team to win back-to-back Super Bowls. Pittsburgh trailed, 10-7, in the fourth quarter when Reggie Harrison blocked a punt out of the end zone for a safety that Cowboy Coach Tom Landry said turned the momentum. After two field goals by Roy Gerela, Lynn Swann--who caught four passes for 161 yards--scored on a 64-yard pass play from Terry Bradshaw to give the Steelers a 21-10 lead. But the victory wasn't sealed until Glen Edwards intercepted Roger Staubach's pass in the end zone on the final play.
SUPER BOWL XIII--ORANGE BOWL, 1979
* Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31: Bradshaw threw four touchdown passes and the Steelers became the first team to win three Super Bowls. With Pittsburgh leading, 21-14, in the third quarter, Cowboy tight end Jackie Smith dropped a pass in the end zone and Dallas had to settle for a field goal. The Steelers then took a 35-17 lead, but as in Super Bowl X, Pittsburgh had to withstand a Staubach-led rally. Staubach threw a seven-yard touchdown pass to Billy Joe DuPree with 2:23 left, and after the Cowboys recovered an onside kick, a four-yard touchdown pass to Butch Johnson with 22 seconds remaining. But Rocky Bleier recovered another onside kick with 17 seconds left.
SUPER BOWL XXIII--JOE ROBBIE STADIUM, 1989
* San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16: Joe Montana led the 49ers on a memorable 92-yard drive, including a 10-yard touchdown pass to John Taylor with 34 seconds left. San Francisco became the first NFC team to win three Super Bowls in what was Bill Walsh's last game as 49er coach. Montana was 23 for 36 for a record 357 yards and Rice, who caught 11 passes for a record 215 yards was voted most valuable player.
SUPER BOWL XXIX--JOE ROBBIE STADIUM, 1995
* San Francisco 49, San Diego 26: Quarterback Steve Young--who had been criticized for not measuring up to four-time Super Bowl winner Montana--led the 49ers to their record fifth Super Bowl victory. Young, who replaced Montana but had lost in the NFC championship game the previous two seasons, threw six touchdown passes against the 18 1/2-point underdog Chargers, surpassing Montana's record of five. Rice had 10 catches for 149 yards and three touchdowns, including a 44-yarder 1:24 into the game.
SUPER BOWL XXXIII--PRO PLAYER STADIUM, 1999
* Denver 34, Atlanta 19: John Elway threw for one touchdown and ran for another and the Broncos became the seventh team to win back-to-back Super Bowls. Elway, who was voted the game's most valuable player, was 18 for 29 for 336 yards.