Southern California Rankings:
1. A MAN IN FULL by Tom Wolfe (Farrar, Straus and Giroux: $28.95) The story of a real estate tycoon's crash and burn and the sleaze who warm themselves by the fire.
Last Week: 1; Weeks on List: 8
2. ANGELS FLIGHT by Michael Connelly (Little, Brown: $24) A lawyer who has charged the LAPD with racism and brutality is murdered at the foot of the funicular.
Last Week: --; Weeks on List: 1
3. CHARMING BILLY by Alice McDermott (Farrar, Straus and Giroux: $21) An Irish family reflects on the violent, drink-spattered life of its deceased patriarch.
Last Week: 3; Weeks on List: 12
4. MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA by Arthur Golden (Alfred A. Knopf: $25) The life and loves of a fisherman's daughter who becomes a teahouse entertainer in Kyoto before and during WWII.
Last Week: 2; Weeks on List: 58
5. THE POISONWOOD BIBLE by Barbara Kingsolver (HarperCollins: $27.50) An evangelical Baptist missionary takes his wife and children to the Belgian Congo in 1959.
Last Week: 5; Weeks on List: 12
6. AMSTERDAM by Ian McEwan (Nan A. Talese/Doubleday: $21) A journalist, composer and politician ease feelings of emptiness by sabotaging each other's careers.
Last Week: 6; Weeks on List: 3
7. THE SIMPLE TRUTH by David Baldacci (Warner: $25) Twenty-five years ago, Rufus Harms was convicted of a murder he knows he committed. Suddenly, he's not guilty, or is he?
Last Week: 4; Weeks on List: 6
8. THE LOVE OF A GOOD WOMAN by Alice Munro (Alfred A. Knopf: $24) Eight new stories from Munro deal with love, passion, chaos and human desire.
Last Week: 8; Weeks on List: 5
9. BAG OF BONES by Stephen King (Scribner: $27.50) A best-selling writer is haunted by writer's block and ghosts at his Maine summer home.
Last Week: --; Weeks on List: 10
10. THE VAMPIRE ARMAND by Anne Rice (Alfred A. Knopf: $26.95) Is Lestat dead? As vampires from around the globe gather near his body, Armand tells his own story.
Last Week: --; Weeks on List: 9
11. RAINBOW SIX by Tom Clancy (Putnam: $27.95) Ex-Navy SEAL John Clark heads an international special operations anti-terrorist strike force.
Last Week: 11; Weeks on List: 16
12. WELCOME TO THE WORLD, BABY GIRL! by Fannie Flagg (Random House: $25.95) The rise to TV stardom of an ambitious woman with strong roots in a Missouri town.
Last Week: 12; Weeks on List: 4
13. THE HOURS by Michael Cunningham (Farrar, Straus and Giroux: $22) A haunting triptych of stories structured around Virginia Woolf's novel "Mrs. Dalloway."
Last Week: 13; Weeks on List: 5
14. WHEN THE WIND BLOWS by James Patterson (Little, Brown: $25) An astonishing discovery in the woods brings together a recently widowed veterinarian and a troubled FBI agent.
Last Week: 7; Weeks on List: 8
15. ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT by Mary Higgins Clark (Simon and Schuster: $17) A Christmas suspense story, complete with abandoned baby and jewel thief.
Last Week: 15; Weeks on List: 10
1. THE CENTURY by Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster (Doubleday: $60) The story of our last 100 years; a companion to an upcoming ABC special.
Last Week: 5; Weeks on List: 4
2. THE GREATEST GENERATION by Tom Brokaw (Random House: $24.95) TV anchor tells the stories of the generation that came of age during the Depression and World War II.
Last Week: 1; Weeks on List: 4
3. LINDBERGH by A. Scott Berg (Putnam: $30) Courageous aviator, loving father, isolationist and, finally, fallen hero: a dramatic American story.
Last Week: 3; Weeks on List: 15
4. THE AMERICAN CENTURY by Harold Evans (Alfred A. Knopf: $60) A sweeping illustrated account of the rise of the United States to political and cultural dominance.
Last Week: 4; Weeks on List: 5
5. TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE by Mitch Albom (Doubleday: $19.95) A sportswriter's empowering story about his weekly visits to see an older dying friend.
Last Week: 2; Weeks on List: 52
6. KING OF THE WORLD by David Remnick (Random House: $25) From Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali: the story of the world's greatest prizefighter.
Last Week: 6; Weeks on List: 7
7. THE ECOLOGY OF FEAR by Mike Davis (Metropolitan Books: $25) Los Angeles' precarious environmental history and some apocalyptic warnings about its future.
Last Week: 12; Weeks on List: 15
8. 100 MOST IMPORTANT WOMEN OF THE 20TH Century by the staff of Ladies' Home Journal ; foreword by Barbara Walters (Meredith Books: $29.95) Ladies first.
Last Week: --; Weeks on List: 1
9. CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD, BOOK ONE by Neale Donald Walsch (Putnam: $19.95) Messages from Mr. Big about good, evil and the meaning of life.
Last Week: 9; Weeks on List: 77
10. CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD, BOOK THREE by Neale Donald Walsch (Hampton Roads: $22.95) Further dispatches on life and death dictated by the Man Upstairs.
Last Week: 10; Weeks on List: 8