YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


Sprinter's Sound Leg Eases Mind

Track and field: Hamstring injury doesn't stop Notre Dame's Hauser-Price at prelims.


LONG BEACH — After pulling a hamstring in her right leg at the Mission League finals last week, Sierra Hauser-Price of Notre Dame High was understandably concerned heading into the Southern Section Division III prelims Friday at Veterans Stadium.

Once the meet started, the sophomore had no worries.

Her hamstring held up perfectly, she easily won her heats in both the 100- and 200-meter sprints and anchored Notre Dame's 400-meter relay team that qualified for the Division III finals next Saturday at Cerritos College.

"Now it's like a big burden has been lifted," she said.

Hauser-Price posted the fastest qualifying time of 11.81 seconds in the 100 and won her heat in the 200 in 24.57 seconds. She was second in the event behind Shakhan Lewis of Duarte (24.29).

Harvard-Westlake's Becky Rauth posted the fastest qualifying time in the 100 and 300 hurdles.

Another hurdler from Harvard-Westlake, George Witter, qualified in the boys' 110 highs, winning his heat in 15.17 seconds and finishing sixth overall.

He also captured his heat in the 300 intermediate hurdles, finishing in 39.34 seconds, third overall.

Travis Johnson of Notre Dame came through with a brilliant performance in the shotput with a winning toss of 58-2 3/4, more than six feet farther than anyone else.

Johnson's sister, freshman Tracy Johnson, was fourth fastest in the 300 hurdles in 48.36 seconds.

Notre Dame's Todd Fenton won his heat and was the second-fastest qualifier in the 100 (10.80).

Chaminade's Jonathan Rymsza was second in his heat and fifth overall in the 800 at 1:59.48.

Brandon Riedl of Crespi was one of nine competitors to clear 6-2 and advance in the boys' high jump.

Jeff Arnold of St. Francis and Amy Foss of La Canada qualified in the 3,200.

Notre Dame's boys' 1,600 relay team won its heat over Loyola but was disqualified for throwing the baton after the finish. Knight coaches appealed and the team was reinstated.

Los Angeles Times Articles