YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Where to Go for Help

May 24, 1999|JANE E. ALLEN

Research centers that offer resources and information on "aging in place":

* "The Home Modification Action Project" Web site, administered by USC's Andrus Gerontology Center, includes a national directory and state-by-state resources: Phone: (213) 740-1364.

* The Center for Assistive Technology and the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Aging at the State University of New York at Buffalo, (800) 628-2281.

* The Center for Universal Design, School of Design, North Carolina State University, P.O. Box 8613, Raleigh, NC, 27695; (919) 515-3082. Requests for information: (800) 647-6777. Web site:


Programs that offer "aging in place" services to qualified applicants:

* Home Secure, which provides home modifications to a selected area of the city of Los Angeles through Jewish Family Service of Los Angeles, (323) 937-5855.

* City of Los Angeles handy-worker program, (213) 367-9228.

* Santa Clarita Valley Committee on Aging handy-worker program, (661) 259-9444.

* Pasadena Neighborhood Housing Services handy-worker program, serving Altadena and unincorporated areas of L.A. County in the San Gabriel Valley, (626) 794-7191.

* Pasadena Neighborhood Housing Services minor home repair grant program for Pasadena residents, (626) 794-7191.

* Sierra Madre handyman program, (626) 355-7135.

* Christmas in April, a privately funded annual program, Southern California regional office: (714) 667-8174.


Resources for home-equity conversions (reverse mortgages):

* AARP Home Equity Conversion Information Center, Washington, D.C., (202) 434-6044.

* National Center for Home Equity Conversion, St. Paul, Minn., (651) 222-6775.

USC'S HMAP program and the Santa Clarita Coalition on Home Modification will sponsor an exhibit, "Beyond Time, Beyond Space: A Home for All Ages," from June 5 through July 31, at the Valencia Town Center. For more information, call (213) 740-1364.

Los Angeles Times Articles