Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

CRISIS IN YUGOSLAVIA

Houses Occupied by Bosnia Peacekeepers Reportedly Attacked

May 27, 1999| Reuters

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Several rocket-propelled grenades were fired at two houses occupied by NATO-led peacekeeping troops in the Serbian part of Bosnia early Wednesday but there were no casualties, the peacekeepers said.

Dave Scanlon, spokesman for the Stabilization Force, or SFOR, said the 2 a.m. attack in the northeastern town of Zvornik on the border with Yugoslavia was "very serious." About half a dozen grenades were fired at the two houses, he said.

The attack occurred in a sector patrolled by U.S.-led SFOR soldiers but no arrests had been made, Scanlon said.

An SFOR statement did not say who might have been behind the shooting.

The two houses, located a couple of miles apart, came under attack about the same time, indicating that more than one person was involved, Scanlon said.

Tension has heightened in the Serb Republic, one of Bosnia's two autonomous entities, since NATO launched its bombing campaign against Yugoslavia, which backed the Bosnian Serbs during Bosnia's 43-month war.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|