A Place Called Home in Los Angeles serves inner-city children and families with food and clothing. Any donations welcome. 2830 S. Central Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90011; (323) 232-7653.
* AIDS Project Los Angeles needs wrapping paper, cards, decorations, educational toys for kids from birth to 16, dolls, toy cars, action figures, electronics, headphones, video and computer games, board games, sports equipment, arts and crafts materials, books. Gift certificates ($15 denominations) from music, toy, discount and department stores and clothing chains. 1313 N. Vine St., Los Angeles, CA 90028; (323) 993-1600.
* AIDS Services Foundation Orange County needs disposable cameras, 3- or 4-inch cylindrical decorative or scented candles, small jars (2- to 3-ounce size) of jams, jellies or preserves for its Holiday Gift Basket Program. Donations needed by Wednesday. 17982 Sky Park Circle, Irvine, CA 92614; (949) 253-1500.
* Alexandria House, a transitional residence for women and children, needs toys for a holiday party Dec. 18. 426 S. Alexandria Ave., L.A., CA 90020; (213) 381-2649.
* American Red Cross of Santa Monica and Santa Monica Fire Department's "Share the Holidays" program needs new, unwrapped gifts for children, teens and adults for clients of social-service agencies and for those from low-income families. For collection sites, call the American Red Cross at (310) 394-3773; 1450 11th St., Santa Monica, CA 90406.
* Amie Karen Cancer Fund for Children, which supports the pediatric hematology and oncology department at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, needs donations in $20 increments to help pay for holiday party, 50 small gifts for children (such as Beanie Babies), toys, candy canes, dreidels, 50 sets of Pokemon cards. 6535 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048; (323) 655-5977.)
* Angel Harvest needs donations of leftover food (50 pounds or more) from, for example, holiday parties. The food will be driven in refrigerated trucks within an hour of pickup to shelters, rehab centers and missions serving the hungry. Call at least 24 hours in advance. 2040 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067; (310) 557-7074.
* Aprendamos, Let's Learn!, at the Urban Ministry of Los Angeles, needs new books for children in kindergarten through second grade for a Christmas party. Used books, kindergarten through third-grade level, for a take-home library. 2936 W. 8th St., Los Angeles, CA 90005; (213) 389-1356.
* Arroyo Vista Family Health Center needs 45 canned hams or frozen turkeys, toys for girls and boys 12 and younger. 6000 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90042; (323) 254-5221.
* Artishia Wilkerson Jordan Women's Missionary Society needs toys for children, and clothes and food, such as turkeys, to distribute to adults. Ward African Methodist Episcopal Church; 1177 W. 25th St., Los Angeles, CA 90007; (213) 747-1367.
* Assistance League of Glendale needs monetary donations for clothing and books for schoolchildren, and scholarships for five high school and junior college students, gifts for seniors, and clothing, shoes and toys for its thrift shop, the Thrift Corner, 301 N. Verdugo Road in Glendale. The Assistance League, 1325 E. California Ave., Glendale, CA 91206; (818) 247-4296.
* Assistance League of Pasadena needs for its Treasure Fair Thrift Shop (3239 E. Foothill Blvd., Pasadena, ( 449-3326) toys, jewelry, new and hardly used clothing, furniture, and household items. 820 E. California Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91106; (626) 449-2068.
* Assistance League of San Fernando Valley provides for elementary schoolchildren in extreme need through Operation School Bells. It needs shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste, combs, three-hole spiral notebooks, folders, rulers, pens and pencils, 400 (or $4,000 to purchase) dictionaries for fourth- and fifth-graders. P.O. Box 571987, Tarzana, CA 91357; (818) 884-7421.
* Assistance League of Santa Ana serves needy children through a day-care center, dental center and educational support. It needs packages of a week's supply of underwear for girls and boys, toothbrushes and toothpaste, books and educational dental videos. 1031-1037 W. 1st St., Santa Ana, CA 92703; (714) 664-0547.
* Avalon-Carver Community Center needs toys, clothes and food for a holiday party on Dec. 16 for low-income families. 4920 S. Avalon Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90011; (323) 232-4391.
* Beyond Shelter places homeless families into permanent housing and offers social services support for up to one year. For Christmas, it needs new toys, including ethnic dolls, CD gift certificates for teens, infant clothes and supplies, and grocery store vouchers. 3255 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90010; (213) 252-0772.
* Bienvenidos Children's Center needs new clothes, underwear and socks, toys and books for infants through age 8. Teenagers need gift certificates to Tower Records, Walkmans, new computers and printers. 205 E. Palm Ave., Altadena, CA 91001; (626) 798-7222.