Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSentencing

8 Death Sentences Handed Down for Rwanda Massacre

April 02, 2000|From Reuters

KIGALI, Rwanda — A Rwandan court has sentenced eight people to death and 14 to prison terms for their role in the 1994 massacre that left more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and politically moderate Hutus dead, state radio said Saturday.

Rwandan radio said the sentences were handed down Friday by a court in Gisuma in the southwestern province of Cynangugu.

Twenty-eight people had been accused of genocide and crimes against humanity covering a period between April and July 1994. Six of those charged were acquitted.

Those sentenced to death included the former mayor of Gisuma, Theoneste Rukeratabar, and a school inspector.

Of those receiving prison terms, seven were jailed for life, three received 20-year terms, two received 15-year terms and two were given 11-year sentences, the radio said.

In addition, those convicted were ordered to pay $500,000 to 30 victims who have made claims.

Rwanda began a week of mourning Saturday for victims of the genocide carried out by Hutu extremists in 100 days of carnage that shocked the world.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|