* It has been 16 months since the new Oak Park ZIP Code (91377) was implemented by the U.S. Postal Service. This new ZIP is important to the residents of Oak Park in eastern Ventura County for many reasons, including provision of emergency services and issues relating to sales tax and insurance.
Last week I picked up a copy of the new GTE telephone directory for Thousand Oaks. Many of us in Oak Park patronize businesses listed in the yellow pages and use the white pages to locate numbers in the 805 area code (we are in the 818 code). I was shocked to see that:
* The Oak Park ZIP Code was omitted from the list of ZIP Codes in the directory.
* The revised map of the Conejo Valley area shows Oak Park as being in ZIP Code 91301.
* The local calling areas for Thousand Oaks / Newbury Park phone numbers include Agoura in the 818 area code but not Oak Park.
* The Oak Park Library (and the few other Oak Park listings) show it as being in Agoura.
With all the publicity and embarrassment suffered by Pacific Bell when its directory last year failed to list Oak Park, one would have expected better from GTE. We certainly hope that future directories will be corrected!
HARVEY D. KERN