Janelle Del Soldato of Crescenta Valley High, one of the top 800-meter runners in the region, will attend UC Irvine and try to make the track and cross-country teams as a walk-on.
Del Soldato ran a career-best of 59.16 to win the 400 in the Pacific League final last year but has moved up to the 800 and run 2:17.23, the region's third-best time this year.
* Cassie Ramirez of Highland High, 1999 Golden League girls' cross-country champion, is academically ineligible and will miss the rest of the season.
Ramirez, a sophomore, placed second in the 1,600 and 3,200 in the league finals last year. She was a second-team selection to The Times' all-region cross-country team last year.
* Shortstop Veronica Arredondo of Notre Dame High has made a commitment to Siena College in New York.
Arredondo, a four-year starter for the Golden Knights, was selected to the All-Mission League second team in 1999.
She is batting .378 with three doubles and six stolen bases.
* Safety Scott Quigley of Pierce College has signed with Charleston Southern, a Division I-AA school.
Quigley was Frontier League player of the year in 1996 as a quarterback at Calabasas. He attended Louisiana State before transferring to Pierce in 1998.
* Ron Veres, former head coach at Simi Valley High, has been hired as defensive backs coach at Westlake.
Sandra Rosales of Glendale College has signed with Cal State Los Angeles.
* Dave Hessing of Canyon Country won one of two 40-lap late-model main events Saturday at Irwindale Speedway.
Hessing was third as James Weston of Goleta won the second race.
T.K. Karvasek of North Hills won the 40-lap super stock main event and the 15-lap figure-8 race.
Walt Johnson of Sun Valley finished second to J.J. Ercse of Bellfower in the 20-lap United States Auto Club TQ midget main event, and Gil Gillis of Simi Valley finished second to Bob Reed of Riverside in the 25-lap mini stock main event.
* Jeff Latimer of Newhall was fifth in the 75-lap late model main event Saturday at Mesa Marin Raceway in Bakersfield.