An impressive list of fiction and nonfiction authors will teach writing classes and seminars through University Extended Education at Cal State Fullerton during the spring semester.
Among the new instructors in the revised Programs for Writers are Janet Fitch ("White Oleander"), Dennis McDougal ("The Last Mogul"), Jo-Ann Mapson ("The Wilder Sisters") and Susan K. Perry ("Writing in Flow").
"Our goal is to create a community of writers," said novelist Patricia McFall ("Night Butterfly"), who developed the programs, which are aimed at both beginners and published writers.
Sixteen new classes will be offered, including several one-day seminars. A new certificate program also has been added in nonfiction writing, and the fiction writing program has been revamped.
Among the new classes: "Creative Nonfiction"; "Do-It-Yourself Publicity for Artists, Musicians, Writers and Entrepreneurs"; "Successful Fiction Outlining and Plotting"; "Essentials of Literary Style"; "Writing in Flow"; "After the Sale: Publishing Savvy for First-Time Authors"; "Documentary Film and Video Writing"; "Working With Editors"; and "Research for Writers."
Also scheduled to teach during the spring semester, which begins later this month, are McFall; screenwriter Tim Albaugh; author and screenwriter Terry Black; writer, editor and KUCI-FM's "Writers on Writing" host Barbara DeMarco Barrett; journalist and mystery writer Carroll Lachnit; Orange Coast magazine Editor Patrick Mott; novelist and journalist Philip Reed; and journalist and mystery writer Martin J. Smith.
For more information, call (714) 278-2611. Or check out this:
"A Gathering of Writers," an open house with instructors and advisory board members, will be held at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Fullerton Marriott, 2701 Nutwood Ave.
The open house will have free sample lessons, book signings and door prizes, which include autographed books and a free one-day writer's workshop.
Buchanan to Lecture at Nixon Library
Presidential candidate Patrick J. Buchanan will lecture and sign copies of his new book, "A Republic, Not an Empire: Reclaiming America's Destiny," at the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace, 18001 Yorba Linda Blvd., Yorba Linda. 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The lecture is $7; there is no charge to attend the 11:30 a.m. book signing, but only those books purchased in the museum store will be signed. (714) 993-5075.
'Dead Man Walking' Author to Speak
Sister Helen Prejean, author of "Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty in the United States," will speak and sign at Our Lady Queen of Angels, 2046 Mar Vista Drive, Newport Beach. 7:30 p.m. Friday. Free. (949) 644-0200.
Sister Helen's book, published by Random House in 1993, was on the New York Times bestseller list for 31 weeks and was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. She continues to counsel death row inmates at the Louisiana State Penitentiary and works with murder victims' families with a group she founded, Survive.
Also Coming Up
* Authors Martin J. Smith, Phil Reed and Taylor Smith will participate in a mystery writers discussion and signing at the Book Connection, 10932 Pine St., Los Alamitos. 3 p.m. today. (562) 430-5578.
* Ed McBain will sign "The Last Dance" at Book Carnival, 348 S. Tustin Ave., Orange. 2 p.m. Monday. (714)538-3210.
* Marne Davis Kellogg will discuss and sign "Birthday Party" at Coffee, Tea and Mystery, 11931 Valley View St., Garden Grove. 7 p.m. Tuesday. (714) 898-2583.
* Poets Lee Mallory, Bil and Carole Luther, John Harrell, Curt Last and others will read from a collection of poems by the late Misty Mallory at Alta Coffee House & Roasting Co., 506 31st St., Newport Beach. 8 p.m. Wednesday. (949) 675-0233.
* Barbara DeMarco Barrett will interview vegan physician and author Michael Klaper on KUCI-FM (88.9) in Irvine. 4 p.m. Thursday.
* Poet Dennis Askew will read at Borders Books and Music in South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bear St., Costa Mesa. 7 p.m. Friday. (714) 432-7854.
* David Koenig will discuss and sign "More Mouse Tales: A Closer Peak Backstage at Disneyland" at Barnes & Noble in the Huntington Beach Mall, 7777 Edinger Ave. 2 p.m. Saturday. (714) 897-8781.
* Stan Jolley will discuss and sign "Dichotomy: Amish Justice" at Borders Books and Music in South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bear St., Costa Mesa. 7 p.m. Saturday. (714) 432-7854.
* Zuzana Bic will sign "No More Headaches, No More Migraines" at Barnes & Noble in Fashion Island, 953 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach. 7 p.m. Saturday. (949) 759-0982.
* Alexander Avila will discuss and sign "Love Types: Discover Your Romantic Style and Find Your Soul Mate" at Borders Books and Music, 429 Associated Road, Brea. 7 p.m. Saturday. (714) 672-0120.
Send information about book-related events at least 10 days before event to: Dennis McLellan, O.C. Books & Authors, Southern California Living, The Times, 1375 Sunflower Ave., Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Or e-mail to email@example.com.