Sara Jones of Valencia defeated Karen Lotta of Los Angeles, 1 up, on Friday to win the Helen Lengfeld Flight of the 51st California Junior Girls Golf Championship at Monterey Peninsula Golf Club in Pebble Beach.
Jones lost in the first round of match play in the Championship Flight, 4 and 3, to Avery Kiser of Rancho Santa Fe on Tuesday but won three consecutive matches to capture the consolation flight title.
* Ina Kim of Encino finished eighth in the girls' division of the Rolex Tournament of Champions, one of the majors of junior golf, at Serrano Country Club in El Dorado Hills.
Kim shot 74-75-73-77--299 and finished 11 strokes behind champion Mallory Code of Tampa, Fla., who wound up at 70-73-72-73--288.
In the boys' division, Justin Ohye of Calabasas tied for 10th at 70-75-70-70--285.
Brian O'Flaherty of Westlake Village tied for 31st at 76-70-78-72--296, and Roy Moon of Simi Valley tied for 36th at 73-75-73-76--297.
* Craig Becker has resigned as coach at Glendale College. The Vaqueros finished 16-21, 9-12 in Western State Conference play last season.
* Adult league registration for men's, women's and coed teams is underway at Rioux Memorial Park in Stevenson Ranch.
Cost is $300 per team with a $10 umpire's fee due at each game. Coed games will be 6:46 to 8 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays. Men's and women's games will be on Saturdays and Sundays, respectively, from 4 to 8 p.m.
Information: Al Evans, (661) 222-9536.
* Michael Shabaz of Fairfax, Va., defeated Sam Querrey of Thousand Oaks, 6-0, 6-4, in the semifinals of the 2000 U.S. Tennis Assn. Boys' 12 National Hardcourt Championships on Friday at the Harbor Bay Club in Alameda.
Querrey will play Michael McClune of Irvine in the third-place match today.
Okechi Womeodu of Memphis, Tenn., beat McClune, 6-2, 6-7 (4), 6-4, in the other semifinal.
Querrey and McClune also advanced to the doubles semifinals, where they defeated Adam Newman of Rockville, Md., and Roger Torres of Bel Air, Md., 4-6, 6-1, 7-5.
* Garrett Wong, a graduate of Westlake High, defeated Reyniere Roxas of Carson, 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-1, to advance to the boys' 18 division quarterfinals in the Beverly Hills Junior Open 2000 at the Beverly Hills Tennis Club.
Wong will face Scott Stewart of Malibu in the quarterfinals. Stewart defeated Todd Kruger of Agoura, 6-0, 6-1, in the round of 16.
Olga Yepremian of Sherman Oaks and Bailee Rad of Burbank had first-round byes in the girls' 18 division. Yepremian plays Tara Siddiqui of Cypress and Rad faces Jayme Hu of Torrance in today's quarterfinals.
In the boys' 16 division, Vik Chitkara of Sherman Oaks upset fourth-seeded Andrew Cho of Irvine, 6-2, 6-2, to advance to the round of 16 today . He will face Dan Nguyen of West Hills, who defeated Stephen Wynn of Altadena, 6-0, 6-2.
Steven Bondy of Encino defeated seventh-seeded Michael Moshi, 7-6 (5), 7-5, while Romik Yeghnazary of Burbank beat Matt Altshuler, 6-1, 6-1, and Andy Posner defeated Danny Kim of Granada Hills, 7-6 (3), 6-3.
* The Moorpark College All-American Wrestling Clinic is scheduled for Aug. 1-3 in the Moorpark wrestling pavilion.
Under the direction of Moorpark Coach Paul Keysaw, the clinic is open to elementary and high school students of all skill levels. Cost is $40 per day or $100 for all three days. Information: (805) 378-1457.