When it comes to good deals, it doesn't get any better than the Los Angeles County Library system. With 84 community libraries and three bookmobiles, the system maintains 7 million items, including books, videos and cassette tapes available from each location through a daily delivery system.
But besides books and tapes, there are plenty of other lesser-known services available, including:
* Literacy programs at 22 sites that provide one-on-one literacy tutoring, special programs for children and parents, and preschool story hours.
* Free mini-classes at local health clinics to help new mothers and babies get off to a good start.
* A California job search guide available online at no cost at http://jobsmart.org.
* Books by Mail for the homebound, convalescent home residents and rural dwellers. Call (661) 948-2410 for a catalog.
* CHIPS, a consumer health service that provides medical information upon request.
* Audio Express, which offers first-run videos, books, magazines, CDs and full-length readings of bestsellers, classics, general fiction, language instruction and nonfiction on audiocassettes.
A $10 fee covers postage and maintenance of the audio books. Call (800) 253-0591 for a catalog.
Except for Audio Express, the library services are free.
But there are others with reduced fees, such as research services from FYI that include business profiles ($9), Standard & Poor's Research Reports ($15), business lists ($20 to $35) and demographics ($3 and up). Call (800) 582-1093.
Now all you have to do is get your free library card.
Los Angeles County Public Library, various locations and hours. For more information, call (562) 940-8415 or visit http://www.colapublib.org.
Weekend Supersale: You will have to get up early for the best pickings Saturday at the annual Shoe Frenzy fund-raiser for the Women's Clinic & Family Counseling Center.
Many major manufacturers, such as Ferragamo, Bruno Magli, Kenneth Cole and Cole Haan, have donated women's footwear that will be selling for $5 to $50. Sizes run from 5 through 11. Admission and parking are free.
Shoe Frenzy fund-raiser sale, Saturday, 8:30 a.m-1 p.m., National Guard Armory, 10808 Culver Blvd., Culver City. (310) 203 8336.
For more bargains, visit http://www.bargainsla.com.