Defensive lineman Chuck Osborne of Canyon Country has agreed to terms with the Oakland Raiders for an option year on his contract.
The Canyon High graduate, a 6-foot-2, 290-pound tackle out of Arizona entering his fourth season in the NFL, is vying for a starting position with Grady Jackson after the Raiders released starter Russell Maryland because of salary cap considerations.
Jackson, a two-year veteran out of Knoxville College, and Osborne saw extensive action as reserves last season for Maryland and Darrell Russell.
* Jim Yencarelli has been hired as football coach at Village Christian High.
Yencarelli replaces Mike Plaisance, who resigned after leading the Crusaders to 16 playoff appearances in 20 seasons.
Yencarelli, who coaches at San Manuel High in Arizona, will teach government and economics at Village Christian.
* First baseman Brian Lipman of Royal High has been selected Marmonte League most valuable player.
Chris Cordeiro of Thousand Oaks was most valuable pitcher, and Chuck Berrington of Westlake and Joe Gordon of Simi Valley were co-coaches of the year.
* Shortstop Conor Jackson and catcher Mike Leduc of El Camino Real will be the special guests for City Championship baseball preview show airing Saturday at 8:30 a.m. on Time Warner Cable's Valley Sports 2 program on ESPN2 in the West Valley.
* The 21st Matador Golf Classic, a major fund-raiser for the athletic department, is set for Aug. 7 at Porter Valley Country Club in Northridge.
Tee time is 10 a.m. The day's activities begin at 8:30 a.m. with registration and a continental breakfast. There will be a putting contest before the round.
Foursomes are $600. An individual player can register for $175. There are also tee and green sponsorships. The field is limited to 144 players. Entry deadline is July 31.
Information: (818) 677-3215.
TRACK AND FIELD
* Malinda Malone of Cleveland High, 1997 City Section champion in the girls' 400 meters, has signed with Cal State Northridge.
Malone ran a career best of 55.44 in the 400 to finish second to Jayda Bailey of Taft in the 1998 City final, but missed last season after undergoing surgery to repair a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee.
She had a season best of 57.84 this year.
* Mike Stewart, coach at Newbury Park High for 11 years, has resigned.
Stewart, who will continue to coach the boys' and girls' cross-country teams, was the track coach at Newbury Park from 1973-82 and an assistant under Manny Trevino at Moorpark College from 1983-89.
* Don Reyes and John Clarke, longtime coaches at Royal High, have resigned.
Robbie Scherrei will replace Reyes as boys' coach and Karen Sommer will replace Clarke as girls' coach.
Scherrei and Sommer were assistants this season.