Smoking Study: The UCLA Schools of Public Health and Nursing are looking for male smokers 18 and older to participate in a smoking cessation research study. Eligible men must be in good health and will be financially compensated. (310) 825-9559.
* Today: "Understanding Your Complete Blood Count," Wellness Community-South Bay Cities, 109 W. Torrance Blvd., Redondo Beach. 6-8 p.m. Free. (310) 376-3550.
* Tuesday: An oncologist-gastroenterologist will discuss the latest research on detection, treatments and prevention for cancers of the esophagus, stomach, pancreas, colon and liver. UCLA Campus, RPB Auditorium (adjacent to the Jules Stein Eye Institute), Westwood. 7-9 p.m. Free. (310) 794-6644.
* Tuesday: Baby-sitters training program, for ages 9 to 18, will include basic first aid, home safety tips and emergency telephone procedures. Glendale Adventist Medical Center, Main Auditorium, 1509 Wilson Terrace. $10 per participant. Registration: (818) 409-8100.
* Tuesdays and Thursdays: A registered nurse will lead the exercise program "Lively Lungs" for people with lung problems. San Pedro Peninsula Hospital, 3rd Floor West, 1300 W. 7th St. 10 a.m.-noon. $37 for 10 sessions. Reservations: (310) 832-3311, Ext. 6268.
* Thursday: An internal medicine specialist will discuss the latest research on nutrition. Westside Pavilion, Oasis Lecture Room, Pico Boulevard between Overland Avenue and Westwood Boulevard. Free. Reservations: (800) 516-5323.
* Thursday: An ophthalmologist will discuss eye problems, including prevention and treatment of macular degeneration. UCLA, Jules Stein Eye Institute, Louis Jolyon West Auditorium, 720 Westwood Plaza, Westwood. 2-3:30 p.m. Free. Reservations: (800) 516-5323.
* Thursday: "Having A Healthy Baby" focuses on nutrition, exercise and comfort during pregnancy. Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center, Classroom A, 1250 16th St., Santa Monica. 7-9 p.m. $20. Reservations: (310) 319-4947.
* Friday: "TGIF on Diabetes" is an informational drop-in session for anyone who has questions relating to diabetes. Little Company of Mary Hospital, Del E. Webb Center for Health Education, 4101 Torrance Blvd., Torrance. 4-5 p.m. Free. (310) 543-6777.
* Friday: "Health on the Internet," led by a family physician, will teach how to search for health information. Santa Monica Place, Community Room, 4th Street and Broadway in Santa Monica. 9:30-11 a.m. Free. (800) 516-5323.
* Tuesday: A bereavement group will assist in normalizing feelings of grief and loss. Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, 15031 Rinaldi St., Mission Hills. 3:30-5 p.m. Reservations: (818) 365-8051.
* Tuesday: A group for women will meet weekly to discuss the aging process, relationships with family members, stress and illness. Jewish Family Service Valley Storefront, 12821 Victory Blvd., North Hollywood. 2 p.m. Beginning fee $5 (based on income). (818) 984-1380.
* Wednesday: A group for visually impaired adults will discuss housing, employment and community involvement. Center for the Partially Sighted, Suite 600, 12301 Wilshire Blvd., West Los Angeles. 4-5:30 p.m. (310) 458-3501, Ext. 248.
* Thursday: Parkinson's disease caregivers group. City of Hope, Hillquit Building, Room 4037, 1500 E. Duarte Road, Duarte. 10 a.m.-noon. (626) 359-8111, Ext. 2859 or 5465.
Health Watch appears weekly in Health. Send items typed and double-spaced three weeks in advance to Health Watch, Health, Los Angeles Times, Times Mirror Square, Los Angeles, CA 90053.