Advertisement

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA / A news summary | The Regional
Review / DEVELOPMENTS IN ORANGE, RIVERSIDE, SAN BERNARDINO
AND VENTURA

Marine Sniper Suspect Confined to His Unit

March 29, 2000

CAMP PENDLETON — A Marine suspected of a sniper attack last week on six cars along Interstate 5 was restricted to his unit on the base after being released from the brig on Monday, authorities said.

Officials from the Navy Criminal Investigative Service are looking into Friday night's attack, when the cars were peppered with small-arms gunfire--or possibly BBs or rocks--near the southbound Aliso Creek rest area.

The detectives have not released the name of the suspect nor details about the incident.

"There was a suspect. He has not been charged," said Capt. Patricia Restrepo, spokeswoman for the Marine base in northern San Diego County. "He has been turned over to his unit and placed on restriction, in lieu of confinement."

He is the only suspect, she said.

After being taken into custody Friday night, the Marine was held in the brig until a military magistrate ordered his release Monday and confined him to his military unit, she said.

After the shooting was reported at 8:40 p.m. Friday, the California Highway Patrol closed the freeway for 30 minutes between the San Clemente Border Patrol checkpoint and Mission Avenue in Oceanside. CHP officers joined military police in the search for the shooter.

They apprehended the Marine near the Red Beach Training Area around 10 p.m., and found an undisclosed number of rifles, pistols and ammunition, the CHP said.

The military also has not released the names of the motorists whose cars were damaged.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|