Rabbi Bob Alper, a clergyman and stand-up comic, shares his humor tonight with Congregation Shir Ha-Ma'alot in Irvine.
Alper has served congregations in Buffalo, N.Y., and Philadelphia and has appeared on Showtime, Comedy Central and "Good Morning, America."
Tickets for his 7:30 p.m. public appearance are $20 at the door or $18 in advance by calling (949) 857-2226.
Congregation Shir Ha-Ma'alot is a Reform Jewish synagogue at 3652 Michelson Drive.
Concert Will Honor Steve Allen, Wyland
Comedian and musician Steve Allen and marine artist Wyland will be honored tonight at a benefit concert for the Crystal Cathedral Academy school for the performing arts.
Allen, who will be commended for his dedication to high standards in television, will perform some of his music during the free public event, which starts at 7 p.m.
Wyland will be honored for his work with children through art, TV and personal appearances encouraging appreciation for the environment. He will complete a painting as part of the benefit.
The Arvella Schuller Scholarship Award Benefit, an annual event, raises funds for children who could not otherwise afford to attend the performing arts school.
The Crystal Cathedral is at 13280 Chapman Ave., Garden Grove. Information: (714) 544-5679.
Classes to Focus on the Reformation
"Age of Reformation in the 16th Century," a series of six classes exploring the roots of Protestantism, begins Wednesday at Tustin Presbyterian Church.
The Rev. Rebecca B. Prichard will teach the classes from 7 to 8 p.m. on consecutive Wednesdays through June 21. The study will focus on the sweeping changes in the church of that era and the importance of reformation now.
Child care will be available for the series.
The church is at 225 W. Main St., Tustin. Information: (714) 544-7070 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* East Anaheim Christian Church will have a worship and praise service at 10:30 a.m., Kids Church and Youth Church at 10:30 a.m. and Sunday School for all ages at 10:30 a.m. The church is at 2216 E. South St. (714) 535-6276 www.geocities.com/~eacc.
* The Rev Suzanne T. Black will give the message "Mythological Mothers" at 10:30 a.m. Sunday at the Unitarian Universalist Church of South County. An early-bird discussion will take place at 9:30 a.m. Child care and youth religious education will be offered. The church is at 25801 Obrero Drive, #7, Mission Viejo. (949) 581-0245.
* The Hebrew Academy will host its spring Open House at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Parents, students and the community are invited to visit the campus, see classrooms and meet the staff. The academy is at 14401 Willow Lane, Huntington Beach. (714) 898-0051.
* Judy and Herschel Fox, cantors, comedians and singers, will perform during the "Cantors' Concert 2000" at 7 p.m. May 21 at Temple Beth Tikvah. Reservations are required immediately. The temple is at 1600 N. Acacia Ave., Fullerton. (714) 871-3535.
* St. Andrew Independent Anglican Church hosts weekly Bible study Wednesday evenings. A light supper is served at 6 p.m., followed by Bible discussion. The church is at 4050 Katella Ave., Suite 101, Los Alamitos. (562) 594-8706.
* Marriage and family therapist and author Ann Linthorst will lead the workshop "Parenthood as a School for Love" from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Unity Church of Tustin. Cost is $20. The church is at 14402 S. Prospect Ave. (714) 730-3444.
* Presbyterian Church of the Master will offer the class "Growing Kids God's Way: Biblical Ethics for Parenting" from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays through June 21. Child care will be available. The church is at 26051 Marguerite Parkway, Mission Viejo. (949) 582-2670.
* "The Winning Life: An Introduction to Buddhism" will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. May 21 at Soka Gakkai International-USA. Soka Gakkai is at 1500 E. Warner Ave., Santa Ana. (714) 444-9580.
* Psychotherapist Candi Dabney will lead the discussion "When Scarecrow Meets Tin Man: There's No Place Like Home" at 7:30 p.m. Thursday as part of The Relationship Seminar at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The program is geared toward singles. Cost is $5. The church is at 600 St. Andrews Road, Newport Beach. (949) 574-2214.
* Kathy Sizer will speak on "Risky Love" during Mothers' Day services at 8:45 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday at Trinity United Presbyterian Church. There will also be a presentation of the drama "Burden Overtakers" featuring Leslie Ebert and Kristen Gustavson. The church is at 13922 Prospect Ave., Santa Ana. (714) 544-7850.
* St. Matthew Ecumenical Old Catholic Church will present the "Life in the Spirit Seminar" at 7 p.m. Wednesdays through the end of June. The seminar is a study in charismatic spirituality. The church is at 1111 Town and Country Road, Orange. (714) 647-1770.
* The Huntington Beach Christian Women's Club will host a "Wedding Fashions" luncheon from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. May 24 at Los Caballeros Sports Village Ballroom, 2nd floor. Speaker Reidun Gesswein will give the message "Life Can Be Beautiful." Cost is $14. Reservations are required by Tuesday. The restaurant is a 17272 Newhope St., (714) 968-2847.
Religious event notices may be sent to Gena Pasillas at the Times Orange County, 1375 Sunflower Ave., Costa Mesa 92626. They also may be faxed to (714) 966-7711 or sent to email@example.com