Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsTrials

Hearing Delayed for 3 Teen Suspects in Stabbing Death

May 24, 2000|JEFFREY GETTLEMAN | TIMES STAFF WRITER

The arraignment of three juveniles accused of murdering a Glendale student was postponed Tuesday so defense lawyers can challenge a new state law that calls for the defendants to be tried as adults.

Defense lawyer Andrew Flier, who is representing 15-year-old Rafael Gevorgyan, said the newly enacted Proposition 21 is unconstitutional because, among other concerns, it denies due process.

"My client has the right to at least have his case considered by a juvenile judge who is concerned with rehabilitation," Flier said. "Is that too much to ask?"

Glendale Municipal Court Commissioner Daniel Calabro agreed to postpone the hearing until June 13, allowing defense lawyers to file a motion challenging the prosecution of the defendants as adults.

The state Supreme Court, however, rejected a challenge to Proposition 21 earlier this month, although that petition was based on somewhat different grounds.

Gevorgyan of North Hollywood and the two other co-defendants, 17-year-old Karen Terteryan of Glendale and 14-year-old Anait Ano Msryan of Los Angeles, will remain in custody.

The three were arrested May 5 on suspicion of stabbing and clubbing to death 17-year-old Raul Aguirre in front of Hoover High School. Authorities have said the two boys, both members of an Armenian American street gang, attacked Raul after he tried to break up a fight the two had picked with an unnamed Latino boy waiting at a bus stop. Msryan, a girl, drove the two to the school, authorities said.

In addition to murder charges, the three teenagers were charged with street terrorism because authorities say they committed the murder as part of criminal gang activity.

of criminal gang activity, authorities say.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|