Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCoaches

SOUTHLAND PREP REPORT

Dominguez Basketball Coach Otis Arrested

November 03, 2000|GARY KLEIN | TIMES STAFF WRITER

Russell Otis, the highly successful boys' basketball coach at Compton Dominguez High, was arrested Thursday and booked on suspicion of sexual battery, and sodomy with a person under age 18, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Deputy Bruce Thomas said Otis, 38, was arrested by detectives with the Family Crime Bureau around 11 a.m. and was booked and held at the Carson sub-station.

Thomas said bail had been increased from $50,000 to $100,000 Thursday night and that no arraignment date had been set. Thomas said Otis posted bail at 8:30 p.m. and was released later.

Detectives are continuing their investigation and no other details could be released, Thomas said.

Otis led Dominguez to six consecutive Southern Section titles and four of the last five Division II state championships.

Last season, the Dons finished the season with a 35-2 record and were ranked No. 1 in several national polls.

*

Misdemeanor battery charges were filed Thursday in Torrance against two men who allegedly assaulted South Torrance High's football coach last month because of a relative's lack of playing time.

John Blaz Martinez, 34, of Lomita was charged with one count each of battery, battery against a school employee and battery on school property, said Robert Acciani, Torrance's chief deputy city attorney. Martinez's brother, Anthony Julio Martinez, 23, of Lomita, was charged with two counts each of battery, battery against a school employee and battery on school property because he also allegedly struck a South Torrance assistant coach, Acciani said.

Each charge carries a maximum penalty of one year in county jail, Acciani said. The maximum fine for battery is $1,000. The maximum fine for battery against a school employee and battery on school property is $2,000 for each count.

The Martinezes were arrested Oct. 20, after the incident that occurred shortly after South Torrance's 24-21 loss at North Torrance.

John Martinez was reportedly angry that his son, running back and linebacker John Martinez Jr., had carried the ball only three times in the loss to North Torrance and allegedly confronted Spartan Coach Brett Peabody.

According to police, after a short conversation, the elder Martinez, without provocation, hit Peabody from behind and knocked him to the ground, where he also was struck by Anthony Martinez.

Anthony Martinez also allegedly struck Chad Nammack, a South Torrance assistant who was coming to Peabody's aid.

Torrance police booked the Martinez brothers on suspicion of misdemeanor battery and released them.

*

Santa Ana High's final football game of the regular season, against Santiago, has been moved to Thursday, Nov. 9, at Santa Ana Stadium, Athletic Director Frank Alvarado said. The game was originally scheduled for Nov. 10.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|